• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie Questions 1987 Limited Specs

DobemanXX

NAXJA Forum User
Hi
I new here and here is my situation
I am looking at a 1987 Jeep Cherokee Limited one of my friends has for sale
What are the Factory specs on this vehicle. Any real big problems with this model year. Is there a buying/general FAQ for XJ's I could read.

Thanks
Jon T

Hi there Jon, first off I was wondering where in Canada?
I hope somebody else can offer you a good source for general XJ specs. However judging by our '89 limited it should have the 4.0L, AW4 4-speed auto (I've never seen a manual - anyone?), and the selec-trac full-time transfer case, options wise they were the top of the line and I think they only came two ways - loaded and loaded.

anyway I gotta run I'll check back later.

tony

Hi
I live in Halifax Nova Scotia
I was mostly wondering what differentials came on the 87 XJ
He wants 1000$ for the Jeep I think im going to buy it depending
on my money situation.

Thanks
JT

Should be Dana 35 front/Dana 35 rear. On a Limited the front axle will probaly be of the non-disconnect type which can be a bonus as the disconnect can be a source of problems. I'm in Coldbrook and I actually have an '87 XJ for parts.

Tony

tchase said:
Should be Dana 35 front/Dana 35 rear. On a Limited the front axle will probaly be of the non-disconnect type which can be a bonus as the disconnect can be a source of problems. I'm in Coldbrook and I actually have an '87 XJ for parts.

Tony

Dana 30 front.

Rev

Oh well, that might be for the better. On a rig that old all those power accessories could cause some problems. Plus you might be able to find something a little newer in that price range. There are few older XJ's for sale around here, I could check out the details later this week. Any features you're looking for specifically?

Tony

87 is probably the best chance to find a Dana 44 rear axle.. look for a factory towing hitch and a wire harness in the left rear tail ight.. my 87 limited had the D44 under it.. i see its sold but i figured i'd throw the info out to ya.. all my power accesories still work except one window with a bad motor.. i imagine that rust is as bad 9or worse0 than it is here in new england.. always look close att he floors and rocker panels..

mike

Hi
Thanks for the offer TChase
Id like to get a 4.0 auto or manual
I would like a select trac transfer case <i know that it would be a auto>
Id take a limited or laredo or even a wagoneer or a sport
id like to be less than 4000$ The cheaper the better so i can budget money for fixing it up. Missed a 1992 sport 5 speed 4dr with a small hole in the floor for 1800 on monday drove by got the number callled and it was gone.

If you find anything in your area you can reach me here or email me
@ [email protected]

BTW im selling my 1992 Acura Vigor GS 5 Speed if you know anyone looking for a car or who wants a trade.

Thanks for the help

Jon T

Back