NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 13th, 2017, 22:04
Mostly Harmless

Re: Yet another death wobble help request

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakews2217 View Post
Also, the tire shop I had mount and balance my tires said that the tires didnít balance too well.
This might be worth revisiting.

Do you have a buddy with another XJ whose tires/wheels you could swap for long enough for a test drive? Ideally a set of tires/wheels that are known to be well balanced.
Old Yesterday, 11:14
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostwerks.com View Post
One thing that doesn't come up very often in DW threads is motor mounts. While bad motor mounts themselves don't necessarily cause DW, they can make a small shake a lot worse. The motor is after all the majority of the mass being tossed back and forth.

This video does a great job of showing this. Notice the opposite motion of the engine and axle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07yvJuhnUYM

That video is quite humorous! Thanks for sharing that.

I too had death wobble at nearly 300,000 miles. It start at about 50 MPH and end at 30 MPH. I stayed off the highway for several months because of that.
The fix?
I replaced everything on the front that moved except the shocks and the steering damper which were relatively new.

All steering knuckles;
All ball joints;
All hubs and associated bearings;
All control arm bushings;
Panhard Rod bushings;
Balanced all wheels and tires combination;
Tightened all fasteners to specs.

Did I miss something?

While I was there, I made custom steering linkages because of the extra weight exerted by Jeep WK brakes and JK OEM wheels. Did a drive way alignment which I think is maybe 90%+ accurate. I was then able to drive in excess of 85 MPH with no steering damper attached whit the XJ remaining as steady as the average family sedan.

I have since re-installed the steering damper (needed a clamp to fit the drag link),... peace of mind and legal liability issues.

A person do not have to do what I did, change everything. However, every part, every item that you have to question whether or not it is good should be replaced. Your well being and that of everyone else in the same area of town as you are depends on those questionable parts.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.

Last edited by techno1154; Yesterday at 11:18.
Old Yesterday, 11:20
NAXJA Forum User

That is funny! Where's the trackbar?
Old Yesterday, 15:48
NAXJA Member #1145

He said "Panhard Rod". Same exact thing.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old Yesterday, 18:16
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntkat View Post
He said "Panhard Rod". Same exact thing.
Yep,....same thing.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old Yesterday, 20:53
NAXJA Forum User

Yet another death wobble help request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
This might be worth revisiting.

Do you have a buddy with another XJ whose tires/wheels you could swap for long enough for a test drive? Ideally a set of tires/wheels that are known to be well balanced.

The jeep has sadly taken the back burner as the motor has $h!t the bed. Had a lifter fail. Not a big deal but seeing as itís lived 9 months with very low oil pressure ( 10 psi ) itís due for a rebuild again. So now my project truck takes the lead as it needs less work to be reliable.

As far as the jeep goes, I have no good balanced tires to test with. Hell the jeep drove fine with 33x12.50 boggers on it, well maybe a little wobble but not so bad as to be death wobble. Those 15 year old tires have failed though. Thanks everyone who participated in helping. So far I havenít changed the hub assemblyís, upper/lower ball joints, the control arms themselves, the steering box spacer, ( although when I swapped the box to a known good one it looked fine. So Iíll call it inspected) and steering dampener. Also I am running some 1.5Ē wheel spacers if that brings anything into this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk