• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a 1990 XJ Laredo T-Case swap into a 1994 XJ Sport?

ItZaJeePThiNG

NAXJA Forum User
I was not sure if this needed to be posted in the OEM or Modified tech. Mods feel free to move:)

My question is simple. I believe my 94 tcase needs replaced and I have a working one in my 90 but they are different cases; however im not sure.

For one, my 90 xj has part-time and full-time 4wd and the orange/green 4wd lights to go along with that all stock.
The 94 xj only has part-time 4wd and just the orange light when engaged.

I did some research and believe the better of the two versions was the Select-Trac which i think is in the 90 xj? correct me if im wrong,,,Please.

This means the older but still used Command-Trac system is in the 94xj. if memory serves they are both NP 231. I can double check.

1. Will these swap without any modifications?
2. The shift lever and 4wd lights, how will that match up? if possible?
3. Has anyone ever done this and if so please let me know as much as possible

Im going to let the Jeep dealer diagnose my 94 to verify if i need a new tcase or maybe something else,,, however this may be a mod id just so want to do.

Thanks to all that reply in advance

~Adam~

pretty sure the 21-23 spline switch happened some time in '91, so that may be the deal breaker right there.
the one with the full time is the 242, the one with no full time is the 231. better SYE and other aftermarket options for the 231

Yes, the full time case is a 242, and the part time is a 231.
The splines did switch on the autos in 91, not sure on the 5 speeds.
In other words, no, they won't swap easily. If they were both the same case, you could probably just change the input shaft, but I doubt they are the same between the 231 and 242.
Here is some identification info I found with a quick google search, http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Transmission_and_Transfer_Case/Transfer_Case_ID_Project.htm

cases are far from the same, but i believe the input gears are the same (read the novak page on input gears for more info) but the 242 case is a bear to tear down that far. $50-100 at a pick-n-pull IMHO is the best route for your situation, saves plenty of time.

I was thinking of doing this mainly because the 90xj is bulletproof and will not die. but it nickle/dimes me all year long. the 94 i got for $50 I have already put massive parts into it and with 250k miles+ i dont mind beating on it.
I would like to either part out the 90 and take some parts i want first or trade in on a grand cherokee overland.

The junkyard sounds nice but how do i tell a tcase is okay before pulling it? i have every tool imaginable, without having to haul them all out does anyone know exactly what is needed to extract a transfer case in a JY?

I was thinking of doing this mainly because the 90xj is bulletproof and will not die. but it nickle/dimes me all year long. the 94 i got for $50 I have already put massive parts into it and with 250k miles+ i dont mind beating on it.
I would like to either part out the 90 and take some parts i want first or trade in on a grand cherokee overland.

The junkyard sounds nice but how do i tell a tcase is okay before pulling it? i have every tool imaginable, without having to haul them all out does anyone know exactly what is needed to extract a transfer case in a JY?

14mm ratchet wrenches. a socket and extension and a swivel help sometimes with the top ones. i think it is 10mm to get the shift linkage off in the cab 8mm for the driveshaft at the axles, i think 10 for the front axle shaft at the TC. either way, a good set of mm sockets, and that 14mm ratchet wrench (stubby helps) there are 6 total nuts holding it on.

Back