• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for two build threads...unibody swap and engine swap

ffjosh

NAXJA Forum User
Im thinking of swapping my 88 XJ over to a new unibody and while im at it swapping in a 4.0.

Ive been searching but can not find any Renix to HO swaps and I can not fing any threads about a unibody swap.

Thanks

swapping bodys from one unibody to another is not possible. the unibody is built as a one piece structure with different panels, frame rails, roof and all built together as one unit. unlike the traditional body over frame where you have a structural frame and the body is bolted down to it commonly seen on heavier vehicles like pickups nowadays.

Unless you mean swap the doors, rear latch, hood and other body panels from your xj to another which has been done

As far as a renix swap to HO it has been done before google renix to HO swap there are plenty of links here is one :http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1037809&highlight=renix+engine+swap

From the sound of it and if my 2 cents matters I would locate a 92 or newer xj

swapping bodys from one unibody to another is not possible. the unibody is built as a one piece structure with different panels, frame rails, roof and all built together as one unit. unlike the traditional body over frame where you have a structural frame and the body is bolted down to it commonly seen on heavier vehicles like pickups nowadays.

Unless you mean swap the doors, rear latch, hood and other body panels from your xj to another which has been done

As far as a renix swap to HO it has been done before google renix to HO swap there are plenty of links here is one :http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1037809&highlight=renix+engine+swap

From the sound of it and if my 2 cents matters I would locate a 92 or newer xj
what's wrong with 91?

so you would swap over a renix to a HO? That case no it would be a downgrade. Depending on what year "newer" xj you get depends on a few things as well as what axles you currently have you would need to give more info on this...

I swapped my 96 running gear into an 87 body. Pretty sure there I did a basic writeup. If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me

Im thinking of swapping my 88 XJ over to a new unibody and while im at it swapping in a 4.0.

Ive been searching but can not find any Renix to HO swaps and I can not fing any threads about a unibody swap.

Sorry I meant im swapping over axles, interior, engine ect to a new unibody.

why not just find an existing unibody in good shape with the motor/trans and possibly Tcase combo you want, then only worrying about swapping your axles and other goodies into? seems your wanting to do things the hard way.

i vote find something with OBDII

so you would swap over a renix to a HO? That case no it would be a downgrade. Depending on what year "newer" xj you get depends on a few things as well as what axles you currently have you would need to give more info on this...

Not a downgrade. HO means Highly Overrated.

Only 8 HP difference between the two, and mostly because of the exhaust manifold and bigger throttle body. Most, if not all the 8 HP, is at higher RPM. Torque is the same.

If you use your HO manifolds and sensors along with the eexhaust manifold, you wouldn't know the difference.

For those of you considering swapping an HO into your Renix because you can't find a low mileage Renix around, here's how to do it. I've done 3 so far.

Any questions, post them up.

Cruiser’s HO into Renix Swap
This swap is easier than some will lead you to believe, generally those who have never done it. Those of us who have done it, like myself, will share with you the things that need to be done for a successful swap. Just think of it as swapping in a long block.
The HO and Renix have some differences but none that can’t be overcome very easily.
Any HO engine from an XJ or ZJ through 1998 can be used. One running change was that the rear of the head was no longer drilled and tapped for the temperature gauge sender beginning in the 96 model year. The sender can be relocated to the threaded hole in the thermostat housing taken from the HO engine. You’ll have to extend the wire to that location. Some brave souls even drill and tap the HO head for the sender.
You will be using the intake and exhaust manifolds from your Renix, along with all your sensors and wiring. Since the intake ports of the HO are slightly different, you use the Renix gasket. Exhaust ports are identical.
You will need to use your Renix distributor as it is different than the HO because they use different fuel management systems. The flywheel or flexplate from the Renix must be used so your CPS gets the correct signals. The valve cover from the Renix allows you to keep your CCV system intact and requires no modifications.
The HO block will have a plug in the coolant galley on the driver’s side of the block, closest to the front, which needs to be removed so your Coolant Temp Sensor can be installed in it’s place just as it is on the Renix. It requires a 5/16" square drive or a modified 3/8" drive that has been ground down to fit. Do this before installing the engine.
As for the knock sensor, which is located just above the oil pan on the driver’s side of the engine about mid way, all the blocks I’ve seen are threaded for it. If not, I’ve heard they may be drilled but not tapped. Tap the hole if that’s the case.

Revised 07/24/2012

Not a downgrade. HO means Highly Overrated.

Only 8 HP difference between the two, and mostly because of the exhaust manifold and bigger throttle body. Most, if not all the 8 HP, is at higher RPM. Torque is the same.

If you use your HO manifolds and sensors along with the eexhaust manifold, you wouldn't know the difference.

For those of you considering swapping an HO into your Renix because you can't find a low mileage Renix around, here's how to do it. I've done 3 so far.

Any questions, post them up.

Cruiser’s HO into Renix Swap
This swap is easier than some will lead you to believe, generally those who have never done it. Those of us who have done it, like myself, will share with you the things that need to be done for a successful swap. Just think of it as swapping in a long block.
The HO and Renix have some differences but none that can’t be overcome very easily.
Any HO engine from an XJ or ZJ through 1998 can be used. One running change was that the rear of the head was no longer drilled and tapped for the temperature gauge sender beginning in the 96 model year. The sender can be relocated to the threaded hole in the thermostat housing taken from the HO engine. You’ll have to extend the wire to that location. Some brave souls even drill and tap the HO head for the sender.
You will be using the intake and exhaust manifolds from your Renix, along with all your sensors and wiring. Since the intake ports of the HO are slightly different, you use the Renix gasket. Exhaust ports are identical.
You will need to use your Renix distributor as it is different than the HO because they use different fuel management systems. The flywheel or flexplate from the Renix must be used so your CPS gets the correct signals. The valve cover from the Renix allows you to keep your CCV system intact and requires no modifications.
The HO block will have a plug in the coolant galley on the driver’s side of the block, closest to the front, which needs to be removed so your Coolant Temp Sensor can be installed in it’s place just as it is on the Renix. It requires a 5/16" square drive or a modified 3/8" drive that has been ground down to fit. Do this before installing the engine.
As for the knock sensor, which is located just above the oil pan on the driver’s side of the engine about mid way, all the blocks I’ve seen are threaded for it. If not, I’ve heard they may be drilled but not tapped. Tap the hole if that’s the case.

Revised 07/24/2012

13 horse difference, plus different engine management. Did the Renix's ever have OBDI? Depending on your outlook, you may find either engine management system better. There's those here who prefer HO and those who prefer Renix.

8 horsepower. 87 173hp, 88 177 hp, 89 and 90 182 hp. HO 190 Hp.
All at the upper end of the RPM range and due mostly to a 58mm throttle body vs a 52mm throttle body and a better flowing exhaust manifold on the HO. Same cam. Little bit different intake ports on HO.

I had 13 Comanches as demos at the dealership between 1986 and 1992. All but 2 were 4.0s.

Back