• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Petty Cash Racing/Team NAXJA pull off an astounding 4th overall!

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
DSC_03452.jpg

DSC_03652-1.jpg

DSC_05242.jpg

Full Story to follow at the Petty Cash Racing Blog.

-Matt

Right on Team. Pretty damned good, for a station wagon. :)

Right on Team. Pretty damned good, for a station wagon. :)
Thanks, but it was pretty brutal. We ran perfectly...and still only came in 2nd in class. The Organizers accidentally put a much faster car in our class (which we still almost beat...at the end of day one, we were only 9 seconds behind the fastest car on the track). What we really need now is horsepower...we can seriously be contenders for the overall win if we had 50 more ponies.

We have two weeks before our next race in Denver...if anybody or company wants to see an XJ be the first ever vehicle in the history of 24 Hours of LeMons to win both Index of Effluency AND the Overall win, let me know and let's make it happen. Our only chance is at the Denver race in two weeks...whatcha got?

DSC_07512.jpg

-Matt

Best of luck in Denver!
So close, wish I could make it.

What year XJ? If it is a Renix, make sure you are running the high altitude CPS, otherwise cut and move the CPS to give you a couple of more degrees of advance, especially at this altitude. Maybe an adjustable MAP sensor and a few minutes on a dyno to get your mixture right for this altitude. Pull the head and put in the thin Mopar head gasket. Maybe extend the pan down a couple of inches along with the oil pickup and add a windage tray. While you have the head off, touch up the ports and port match to the intake and exhaust. That should all of these together should give you maybe a 20 hp increase from where you are. Its cheating but a 4.2L crank and rods and a set of H802CP pistons. That mod could give you a lot more than 50 hp.

What year XJ? If it is a Renix, make sure you are running the high altitude CPS, otherwise cut and move the CPS to give you a couple of more degrees of advance, especially at this altitude. Maybe a MAP sensor and a few minutes on a dyno to get your mixture right for this altitude. Pull the head and put in the thin Mopar head gasket. Maybe extend the pan down a couple of inches along with the oil pickup and add a windage tray.
Yeah, it's an '89. We ran at Reno which was 5000 feet and didn't do anything, but I'm all about making it a little quicker. Unfortunately I won't have the time between now and leaving for the race next week to fiddle with it...anybody in the Denver area want to help us out?

-Matt

The CPS is DEFINATELY worth the few bucks and 20 minutes to replace. IIRC I can score one from a local factory parts guy for around $50 or less.

Maybe someone around here has a junkyard pulled sensor they would donate.

The CPS is DEFINATELY worth the few bucks and 20 minutes to replace. IIRC I can score one from a local factory parts guy for around $50 or less.

Maybe someone around here has a junkyard pulled sensor they would donate.
Good info, I honestly didn't realize there was a different CPS for higher altitude.

-Matt

It gives you several more degrees of timing advance which is really needed at higher elevations. Doesn't hurt the performance at lower levels either.

IIRC, the mounting bracket is the same and the sensor is just attached a few degrees farther over. If you can score one, mark the one you remove and create a template to modify standard ones-- it should be much easier to locate and modify standard ones in the future.

Back