• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some advice....

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so heres the deal. I need a job. I'm 16, Have my jeep, And need to pay insurance and gas bills. I've been lookin at Auto parts stores, Since I'm still too young to work at an actual shop.

I go to a tech school Called Benson Polytechnic High School. I'm majoring in automotive. My teacher is an Ex- ford shop foreman. Hes really into to the proformance thing, as am I. I know what I'm talking about. Mechanics I've talked to that I'm pretty good friends with have to "Keep reminding themselves I'm only 16." They say I have enough knoladge to work in a shop, though not old enough. Most of the time, I know more of what I'm talking about than the guy that takes my money at the parts counter. Its not just book knoladge, I know how to do alot. I can do just about anything you ask me to. Rebuild an engine? You got it. Hone out the cylinders? Done. Overhaul the Complete brake system? No problem.

I know what parts are and what they do. It sucks that people think I'm just another dumb teenager that thinks they know something about cars case they can do basic mantianance and change brakes.

I also plan on going through the "Ford ASSET" program at MT. Hood Community Collage. Its a deal where you go there for a year I think, Quarter of it in the classroom, Quarter in the shop getting paid, then back to the classroom, then back to the shop. I think I come out with some kind of degree in automotive technoligy, as well as a job at just about any ford dealership I want.

What is some advice you would give me to stepping into one of these careers as a first time thing? It really something I would like to get into at a young age, working as a parts man and then stepping out into the shop later when I'm 18.

Last edited:
Have you thought about trying to get a job detailing cars for a dealership in your area just to get your foot in the door? It may not be much, but I think with your initiative, you would be quite an asset and could go far.

Rich

Well I don't have any real advice, however let me commend you on being 16 and actually putting together a plan. I didn't start a plan until I was 24. Good luck to you!

Jeremy

DrSockMonkey said:
Well I don't have any real advice, however let me commend you on being 16 and actually putting together a plan. I didn't start a plan until I was 24. Good luck to you!

Jeremy

X2, I think you'll go far for being this far ahead of the game.

At first I thought detailing cars was pretty far down the totem pole, but it's not horrible advice. It gets your foot in the door, they'll send you to school (usually), there's a lot of downtime to sneak into the shop from time to time, and there's always rule #1: you always have to start somewhere.

However! They make crap money. (Bussers at sit-down restaurants make bank for 16 yr olds) Dealerships don't do performance anything usually. And lastly, by performance I would have thought you'd want to work on a car WORTHWHILE. Talk to GM :)

I'm 27 and don't have a plan. I wing it.

Bussers can make some good money (good to a 16yo) but if he wants to be around cars and people in the industry, the food service industry is gonna fall a bit short. Neither are my industry, but I would imagine that anything close to cars would be better than nothing. All the best, I wish I was that motivated at 16.

mud1059 said:
And lastly, by performance I would have thought you'd want to work on a car WORTHWHILE. Talk to GM :)

GM? Fah. I'm a Ford guy. I grew up in Ford trucks. I'll always own a Ford truck. Proformance, WEll, I'll go just about anything. EXCEPT something with a SBC in it.

I got into an automotive shop class in highschool. My senior year, I had half day scedule, id go to regular classes in the morning, and at noon id head on over to the auto shop, where I spent an hour, then off to an internship program. I worked at Valley Pontiac for a good 2+ years, learning every different section in the shop from driveability, brakes and suspension, transmissions and drivetrain, heavy duty, and diesel. I had a full scholarship to Shoreline Community College for the GM training program up there, but turned it down and went straight to flate rate. Later on I got fired, then worked at a wood/cabnetry shop for a year and a half or so. Now im back into mechanics working at a local shop(Auburn car repair and offroad). I enjoy it. Even though I only used to work on GM cars and trucks, other makes and models can be just as easy. Some can be a b!tch though. Once you learn the basics, they end up being all the same in the end, just different way of tearing into it.

I always had a ton more money than my friends in HS. I do realize it's away from cars, but I was thinking of his bills more than his goals.

85xj4dr said:
Proformance, WEll, I'll go just about anything. EXCEPT something with a SBC in it.

Refuse to work on THE MOST POPULAR ENGINE IN NORTH AMERICA - if not the earth. Good thinkin!

edit: this ended up pretty far down all of a sudden....

OD-XJ said:
You must like a challenge....:eeks1: SBC's are too easy right?

Exactly. Haha. And theres a million and a half of them. I would get tired of working on them. Give me an assortment of Buick Nailheads, Old Flattys, and some Oldsmobile Rocket engines and I'll be set.

mud1059 said:
Refuse to work on THE MOST POPULAR ENGINE IN NORTH AMERICA - if not the earth. Good thinkin!

Never said I'd refuse to work on one. I just would get tired of seeing them every day. Lookin at the same stuff gets old. Boring.

85xj4dr said:
Exactly. Haha. And theres a million and a half of them. I would get tired of working on them. Give me an assortment of Buick Nailheads, Old Flattys, and some Oldsmobile Rocket engines and I'll be set.

Interesting taste for a 16 yr. old. I respect that, even if I'm a chevy guy. How about a W head 348 or 409?

-Jeremy

OD-XJ said:
Interesting taste for a 16 yr. old. I respect that, even if I'm a chevy guy. How about a W head 348 or 409?

-Jeremy
All I know is the good guys love um. humps, right?

You can get rich rebuilding 4l60e's all day. Ask me how I know. :(

Ba-Riedo said:
At double his age I think he still has more motivation then you Rich.:looser: Kidding.

-Alex

I'm more than double his age! Thanks for pointing that out and making me feel old, D!CK:bawl:

OD-XJ said:

-Jeremy

Yes I'm into the old stuff. 30's, 40's, 50's hotrods is what I'm into besides jeeps. "Rat" rods, if you will.

Chebbie's first gen BB? Sure.

Back