• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about headlight dimmer switch.

Chad29860

NAXJA Forum User
I recently changed my steering column in my 89' XJ with the one out of my parts jeep because something broke in my column and I lost all accesories that came on with the ignition switch. Well my high beams wont work now because the switch is broke. If I pull it back they come on but it wont click into postion. Instead of having to buy another column or replace a switch which cost $80.00 and I heard is a pain to install I was wondering if there was anyway of putting a floor switch in like the old pickups use to run. And if so what wires would I have to cut and splice to the floor switch. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I know this is probably too late, but have done this. It varies a bit year-to-year. Only 3 wires involved. Disconnect the wiring harness connector from the multi-function column switch. With a circuit tester, find the wire in that connector that has 12v ONLY when the main headlight switch is in full 'on.' Use a jumper wire (paperclip?) to identify which wire is 'lo' and which is 'hi' beams - a helper out front speeds this a bit. You can cut the 12v wire here (leave a little pigtail so the connector is not ruined in case you want to replace the broken switch someday) or in the harness back under the dash since now you know which wire color is for what. Cut or just tap the hi and lo wires. You have to cut the 12v, if you just tap it the floor switch will not function correctly. Just find a floor switch from a newer car that does NOT mount under the floorboard, screw it down, and connect the wires; 12v to the center, hi and lo to the other 2 terminals of the floor dimmer (makes no diff where the lo and hi go on the remaining 2 terminals).

If you need more detail just email me at [email protected]

Last edited:
$80?? Mine cost $17 at Advance Auto Parts.

Back