• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP !! CODE 41

blu3fan

NAXJA Forum User
92 xj 4.0 aw4.

today got in the jeep.
New yellowtop btw. (3months old)
voltage is around 12 volts.
usually at 13-14.
No lights were on.
or left on.
parked and turned right off.

check engine light.
figured oh whatever.maybe its a 12 and end of codes. because voltage low.
pulled out of complex.
at 14.5 as normal.
figured okay we good.

CEL stayed on.
10 mile drive to work.
stopped at work.
checked the codes.
41 only.

means alt field circuit.

got to work. car sat for 9 hours.
drove home.
same thing happened.
CEL still on

So.
Does this mean alt is shot ? or could it be something else.

I would like to note.
On sunday. (like 2 days ago)
I added some 8 gauge grounding straps from battery negative to ac compressor. and from bat negative to frame. also from frame to intake manifold.

Could the additional charge (my old grounds were pitiful at best) the stock ones torn off long ago. Have killed the alt.
Should I keep driving see if she acts more funny ? im a little worried will pin battery to 16+volts and fry my new yellowtop.

Input thoughts ideas ?
thanks.

Using a voltmeter check voltage with Jeep not running, key off -- should be around 12 volts

Now start jeep and check again with jeep at idle -- Should be around 14.5 volts

Check once more with some throttle -- shouldn't change much from 14.5

Optima batteries are not what they used to be -- I would never buy one

not sure if the alternator is regulated in itself or pcm. but try disconnecting the alternator and cleaning the connectors. mainly the little wires. on my 88 one of the wires got an intermittent connection and would shut down the alternator.

My last yellowtop one died after 11 years. and even then it cranked the car at 9 volts.
I did hear they changed some things. But I also read its all rumors that they are worse now.
Hmmm. Dropped voltage with car off to almost 11 volts. while sitting.

Something is up. possibly a grounding wire somewhere Ill investigate.
Did something else weird today.
Volts were at 12 for almost half the drive to work. then about 4 miles there went to 14.
possibly regulator inside alt as well.

I think you mean *sell.
And I do not think I will be getting rid of a brand new yellowtop.
your input was not helpful....

Sale or Sell,who cares!!!! You need a new alt,battery, or maybe both. You can answer your own questions or you can listen to the guys that are here to help you out. Don't listen to me because i can't spell or work on a car.And also i don't care if you ever fix your jeep.Tell us your last yellow top lasted 11 years and still started your car with 9 volts:confused1.

PS It's Yellow Top not yellowtop

Last edited:
The level of stupid is growing on this post.
All seems to be provided by this bobbie fellow.

You claim you know nothing about cars. yet you are giving advice on a car forum...
Seems like something here does not fit.

Last edited:
The level of stupid is growing on this post.
All seems to be provided by this bobbie fellow.

You claim you know nothing about cars. yet you are giving advice on a car forum...
Seems like something here does not fit.

YES,AND YOU KNOW IT ALL AND COME HERE FOR HELP.YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A ALT.BACK WHEN YOU BOUGHT YOUR NEW YELLOWTOPPPP.ONE GOOGLE SEARCH FOR CODE 41 AND BAM,ALT.NOW I KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT A JEEP,I OWN THREE OF THEM AND I HAVE WORKED ON CARS ALL MY LIFE.IM ALSO A MILLWRIGHT FOR THE LAST 15 YEARS.BUT I WILL SAY THER IS NO WAY I CAN TOP THE 11 YEAR YELLOWTOPPP AND SATRT A CAR WITH ONLY 9 VOLTS.CANT SPALLL BUT MAYBE YOUR SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY.11 YEARSSSS:party:

Congrats on learning to use the caps lock. are you 12 ?
And if you know anything about electronics. you would know a deep cycle battery holds charge beyond what you can measure without adding current... but hey. its not like I am an electrical engineer or anything..smh society.
you sir are the reason we cannot have nice things.
I feel like we need an admin to step in here and ban this ignorant troll.

Last edited:
not sure if the alternator is regulated in itself or pcm. but try disconnecting the alternator and cleaning the connectors. mainly the little wires. on my 88 one of the wires got an intermittent connection and would shut down the alternator.

somebody got it right.

oh. and for those who wanted to know. the alternator wiring was corroded on the outside.
I cut it off. and replaced it.
Good as new.

Why did you worry about the volts in the first place.The YELLOWTOPP has 10 years and 3 months left and it's still way above 9 volts.

I'm assuming he's talking about the voltage at the dash gauge with the engine running, which should be at or slightly below 14V.

I both checked with volt meter at battery posts and from inside gauge.
It was dropping volts while sitting mainly. and the corrosion was causing it to have issues charging.
cleaned it all up.
no issues for 24 hours almost now.
going to monitor.
alt passed test at autozone

Looks like the voltage regulator in the PCM may be bad, or there is bad wiring involved. Some good info here on it:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/92-charging-issues-368737/

You might consider pulling the alternator and let autozone test it for free first, and use a battery charger to top off the battery before cranking and testing it again, and use and ohm/volt mulit meter to test all the new and old grounds and the alternator connections.

Been though mud or water lately, the brushes in the alternator and alternator need cleaning...

Start shopping for a PCM....

Edit, just noticed you already solved the problem, alternator wiring....congrats.

My last yellowtop one died after 11 years. and even then it cranked the car at 9 volts.
I did hear they changed some things. But I also read its all rumors that they are worse now.
Hmmm. Dropped voltage with car off to almost 11 volts. while sitting.

Something is up. possibly a grounding wire somewhere Ill investigate.
Did something else weird today.
Volts were at 12 for almost half the drive to work. then about 4 miles there went to 14.
possibly regulator inside alt as well.

Last edited:
The troll patrol has been alerted. Maybe they will get a charge out of this one, LOL.

still trolling huh ?
admin ? how long this gonna take ?

I both checked with volt meter at battery posts and from inside gauge.
It was dropping volts while sitting mainly. and the corrosion was causing it to have issues charging.
cleaned it all up.
no issues for 24 hours almost now.
going to monitor.
alt passed test at autozone
Good job!

Another cause of intermittent charge/no charge is the commutator brushes sticking in their holders.

Back