• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noisy Speedo

Saudade

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Sounds more like it's possessed by demons. Just started this morning but it's cold out considering it's SoCal. Even had to scrape frost off the windshield.

Since I have Cruise Control, I was able to reach up behind the dash and disconnect the sensor from the stub cable that goes into the speedo. Sadly, it's not the long cable or the sensor. I was able to reach the end of the stub cable and give it a spin and more demons growled. Looks like I'll need to pull the cluster.

I've read where people have simply crammed some grease into the drive and silenced it. Has this worked for any of you?

I've had the gauge cluster out before to change a few bulbs. It wasn't too bad. Looks like 4 more screws and the speedo pops out. Should be able to inspect, clean and lube.

It is usually that the lube on the cable is gone. You can pull the cable out of the sheath, grease it with graphite grease and stick it back in there, fairly easy.

I hope it's that simple. I went for a short drive today with the speedo still disconnected at the CC sensor. No noise at all. Of course, no speed indication either. So it's the short cable or the speedo itself. I'll get to it later today and post a few pics and results.

Re: Noisy Speedo: Fixed I hope

So I pulled the cluster and removed the speedo. Soaked some CLP down the cable and used some lithium grease on the internal gears in the speedo. I'm having some trouble getting the cable onto the CC sensor. The core is engaged but I think I have slightly crosstheaded the nut. It's not on tight so I'll go back and try again later.

Meanshile, a short test drive shows no wobble and no more demons. An I didn't even mess up the odometer. :)

There are plenty of write-up on pulling the cluster but here are some pics.

IMG_0005_zpsd782xp97.jpg

IMG_0006_zpsiq5vsrtc.jpg

Back