• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cooling ?

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
under the hood of my xj tends to get pretty warm, as do most, what is the easiest and cheapest way to bring down the temp. i am reluctant to cut into the hood for the vents, but if that is the best i might have to. i am really looking for other options though, let me know.

thanks-ramsey

Fix a Thermotec heat barrier blanket to the underside of the intake manifold. That'll substantially reduce underhood temps., keep the air inside the intake manifold cooler, and reflect the heat from the exhaust manifold back down to the ground.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/manifold.html

This is far more effective than hood vents, putting an extractor fan in the engine bay, a cowl induction hood, and various other snake oil tricks.

Add a couple of shims (or washers, if you don't have access to wrecked XJs) between the hood and the hinges. This leaves the trailing edge of the hood up a fraction of an inch for the air to escape.

Dr. Dyno said:
Fix a Thermotec heat barrier blanket to the underside of the intake manifold. That'll substantially reduce underhood temps., keep the air inside the intake manifold cooler, and reflect the heat from the exhaust manifold back down to the ground.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/manifold.html

This is far more effective than hood vents, putting an extractor fan in the engine bay, a cowl induction hood, and various other snake oil tricks.

So thats what that was for....
I saw something similar to that on a 03 TJ yesterday that was getting it's AC charged after an AC hose replacement. Need to take a closer look at that as that means there is a factory solution with that thermotec stuff. Hopefully he didn't finish it yesterday or the customer did not pick it up....

any other suggestions out there?

Eagle said:
Add a couple of shims (or washers, if you don't have access to wrecked XJs) between the hood and the hinges. This leaves the trailing edge of the hood up a fraction of an inch for the air to escape.
From what I've seen, this seems like a good fix. Add shims, or washers to the hinges and it will look like the shakerhoods like the ones on 'stangs and camaros. Is that what their called?

Back