• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bed liner paint job on the XJ

ThE HiV

NAXJA Forum User
Well I had to do some body work on the rockers of the jeep so i decided to paint the bottom of the jeep with duplicolor bed liner. I decided on this becuase unlike herc or something else, Im thinking it will be less rough textured, and so dirt will wash off easily rather than getting stuck. at the same time its bed liner, so it should cover up the imperfections of my lousy body work. my question is, Im all preped, and the area i want painted is masked off with blue painters tape.

is there a way to paint this so when i pull off the tape the liner doesnt peel. I have put this stuff on once before, and when removing the tape sometimes the bed liner would adhere to the tape and want to come with it.

Im planning on paining tomorrow. I will post before and after shots, hopefully i can get a little advice before i put the paint on tomorrow

Do all of the coats in a single day, with the secondary coats being applied while the underlying coats are still tacky. Then pull the tape after the last coat is applied and while the top coat is still freshly wet.

ehall said:
Do all of the coats in a single day, with the secondary coats being applied while the underlying coats are still tacky. Then pull the tape after the last coat is applied and while the top coat is still freshly wet.
x2

one thing i have found with the duplicolor is that it doesn't adhere to bare metal all that well but is very effective on top of fresh primer or paint... if you weren't planning on it, i'd hit the area with primer before you do it. just my 2 cents:passgas:

Just watch out and don't get any on your hootus.

old_man said:
Just watch out and don't get any on your hootus.

That stuff sticks to everything, if you don't want a skid resistant "hootus" cover up all exposed skin.

yea just make sure to take off the paint while it is still wet.
Here is mine I just did it on the rockers still holds up very well.
SANY0195.jpg

I recently used the Duplicolor bedliner on mine, stuff worked great. Just make sure its all prepped and clean and you should have no problems. I used 1/4" black pinstrip tape on the edges of mine after it was painted helps stop any chipping along the edges.
100_3690.jpg

Back