• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydraulic Clutch System - NO Pressure

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm returning my '89 XJ Laredo to roadworthy condition for winter and I've got just a few items to complete before turning the key. However, I experienced an unexpected and potentially serious issue this weekend when I pressed on the clutch pedal; I felt no pressure.

As this is a hydraulic master cylinder/throw-out bearing system I'll probably flush the system to see how it reacts to the fluid change. The '89 has been out of use for over 2 years so this extended period without use may explain my low pressure condition.

I have checked the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder and it is as it should be.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can check? I do own the service manual set so I'll review that tomorrow morning.

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited:
I just popped the hose that goes from my master clinder to the slave cylinder. I'd check the rubber part of the hose, it may have dry rotted and the pressure blew it.
Look for fluid coming out of the bellhousing, if it comes out there the slave cylinder is shot.

Back