• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 needed

I like the 242 for a dd. I have 1 in my 98' zj after I liked it so much in my 89' that I sold. It's nice having the 4 high full-time/part-time modes as well as 2 wd and 4 low. It, however, isn't as strong as the 231 and parts aren't as readily available for it. Maybe you should look into swapping in a 231 for your dying 242. Does your 242 have the sye and other modified stuff? You might be able to use most/all of it on a 231. Just a thought.
Troy

Big Red said:
I like the 242 for a dd. I have 1 in my 98' zj after I liked it so much in my 89' that I sold. It's nice having the 4 high full-time/part-time modes as well as 2 wd and 4 low. It, however, isn't as strong as the 231 and parts aren't as readily available for it. Maybe you should look into swapping in a 231 for your dying 242. Does your 242 have the sye and other modified stuff? You might be able to use most/all of it on a 231. Just a thought.
Troy

So do you have one for him or not? :D
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
So do you have one for him or not? :D
Billy

Sorry, I'm just :yap: I was just advising to go with a 231 if a 242 cannot be found soon and cheap. I'll leave this thread alone now, my zj needs the 242 eventhough it is down now with a blown tranny.

JeepFreak21 said:
I'm just messin' with ya... the 231 suggestion was a good one.
Billy

That's cool, I don't mind it. I do have a habit of spouting out lots of info. I just loves jeeps and 4 wheeling what can I say? :laugh3: So are you interested in that SJ on Madison/I-80? It's before you get to I-80 from CH. Looks really good. I have always like the full size jeeps with their timeless design, strong drivetrain, low cost, etc. I wish I could add this to my collection, but I don't have the $$$ or time right now. I have thought about lifting a SJ with 35-37's, gearing and locking the axles, maybe a Holly projection fuel injection for the big 360, etc and wheel the snot out of it. Oops there I go again, yap yap. :laugh3:

I've got one I'll give you if you want it. The problem is that the previous owner swapped out the rear axle and the gears in the rear were different than the front. Well, needless to say, the t-case only works in 2high. If you want it for parts, let me know and it's yours. It's a 21 spline that was behind an AW-4 auto.
Eric

The 231 is a direct swap... believe me ... I have done it. The donor was a 95 and it got put into my 92. Didn't even need to adjust the linkage!!

Onkover said:
The 231 is a direct swap... believe me ... I have done it. The donor was a 95 and it got put into my 92. Didn't even need to adjust the linkage!!

That is because you have a HO 4.0L, all High Output 4.0's have the 23 spline. The earlier XJ have the 21 spline, but you can crack open the case and swap out the input shafts.

I picked one up at the junk yard today, 99.00!
Cracked it open it had been rebuilt recently :clapping:
now I can't get the linkage to line up....:giveup: :looser:

crazy4mopar said:
I picked one up at the junk yard today, 99.00!
Cracked it open it had been rebuilt recently :clapping:
now I can't get the linkage to line up....:giveup: :looser:

Did you get it at the pnp? That's a nice low price. I like the 242 for a dd, occasional wheeler. Glad you were able to locate 1 Lee.

Back