• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MMO lifter soak soon

asymptonic

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Planning on taking off the valve cover this weekend time permitting and spraying the valve train, push rods, and lifters with MMO to address my lifter tick, per Ecomike's advice.

Any tips on anything I should do or check out while the cover is off? I do have one CCV valve that is leaking slightly, so I'll probably replace that while I'm at it, but this is the first time I've had a look at the top end.

Ecomike: Do I need to change the oil after the overnight soak?

Thanks, asy

I did not change the oil. Just inspect the rockers an rods, and clean the valves in the valve cover. Look up the mod for drilling a vent hole in the vent tubes in the cover and shorten the tubes to solve any furure oil blow by into the air filter. Check the old threads on that. I upgraded the valve covwr gasket to permanent silicone, and love it.

Fortunately I don't have any blow-by into the air filter, just a little oil that slowly builds up on the top of the CCV on the valve cover. Probably just going to replace the gasket there and leave the rest alone until I have problems. I seem to have a Felpro blue gasket on there, so I may just try and reuse that. What's the silicone permanent one you're referring to?

Felpro blue is silicone, or equal to silicone, either way it is a permanent gasket unlike the old oem cork stuff. The valve cover vent mods are super fast, simple and highly recommended for the old renix valve covers.

Fortunately I don't have any blow-by into the air filter, just a little oil that slowly builds up on the top of the CCV on the valve cover. Probably just going to replace the gasket there and leave the rest alone until I have problems. I seem to have a Felpro blue gasket on there, so I may just try and reuse that. What's the silicone permanent one you're referring to?

Felpro blue is silicone, or equal to silicone, either way it is a permanent gasket unlike the old oem cork stuff. The valve cover vent mods are super fast, simple and highly recommended for the old renix valve covers.

Gotcha. Pretty sure that's the gasket on there right now, so I'll try and reuse it. I've got a '98, so I'll leave the rest alone this time.

Back