• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clyde Frog Build Thread

clydefrog

NAXJA Forum User
I figured I shold start a build thread for my rig so I could keep track of everything I do to it. Have much more plans for it down the road.

Currently I have:
-1987 XJ
-Engine is a Chevy Vortec 5.3 and some light mods.
-Transmission is a 4L60E.
-Transfer case is stock NP231 with slip yoke eliminator and different input gear.
-Read diff Ford 8.8 (not built yet)
-Front diff D30 (not built yet)
-Lift is a mix of various stuff, Rough Country LA kit, Rubicon express 3.5" springs and coils. RE for all the little stuff too (brake lines, track bar etc).
-Procomp steelies with 30" Hancook tires, prolly only going to go 31" down the road.....we'll see.

Shooting for a good over-landing vehicle, shes coming along.

IMG_4653.jpg

Still have a lot to do, like making the snorkel functional instead of just a CAI. Build thread on the engine swap: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1122847
IMG_4427.jpg

Last edited:
Currently don't have 4wd, the front diff is not re-geared yet. I have these goodies that I will be installing in the next couple of weeks though (piecing it together). Chromoly axle shafts to eliminate the disco axle shafts. Trutrac differential with 3.73 gears to match the rear along with an install kit and disco block off plate. I have been on the fence if i should go 4.10's but it will tow 4,000lbs uphill in 3rd at 55mph with no issues so i think the 3.73 will stay. I'm at about 2,100 rpm's on the freeway. Also have a new diff cover to support the local 4wd shop, and to match the rear diff.

IMG_4658.jpg

Installed a aluminum expansion tank from Macs radiator. Highly recommended for peace of mind.
IMG_4681.jpg

And I needed a smaller windshield washer reservoir to fit, got this off Amazon for $20 and the w/s washer motor that came with it was plug and play to the Jeep wiring connector.
IMG_4680.jpg

those struts aren't for an XJ though .... building a yota or something?

those struts aren't for an XJ though .... building a yota or something?
oh...haha, No those are for my wife's BMW E90. I put them on this last Saturday. I REALLY wanted to do my re-gear on the D30 but the wife's car takes priority over the Jeep......

Finally got around to re gearing the front D30, installing the Trutrac and chromoly one piece shafts.

Out with the old:
IMG_4767.jpg

IMG_4769.jpg

Took 4 tries. This is what I ended up with; I was pretty happy.
IMG_4770.jpg

Now I have a slight pull to the right. I am going to throw it on the alignment machine this week to see whats up since i had the tie rod off. Hopefully its just a toe adjustment and not a radial pull from the new components.

Got a link to that washer fluid reservoir? My DD MJ needs one.

Cool build. I've thought about building a nice overland jeep sometime in the future, but I think I'd struggle to keep it nice. :wierd:

Got a link to that washer fluid reservoir? My DD MJ needs one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00495UQT2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't have the right axle seal for the new one piece axle. I installed the regular two piece seal and sanded the axle on the seal surface. That obviously didn't work as a have a really small seap. Going to WFO today to see what they have for a seal. There was no machined surface to press a seal into on the passenger side and the standard seal (same as drivers side) did not fit.

Alignment was spot on, tire pressures good, I even re-torqued the axle nuts. Still has a slight pull to the right. I wonder if that is an inherent trait of the Trutrac? Everything looks good, pull was not present before the swap.

Time to put my thinking cap on.

So for that new washer bottle all you had to do was splice into the current wires? Hmm. I might grab that too then. I keep smashing my Fender bottle on my late model...

So for that new washer bottle all you had to do was splice into the current wires? Hmm. I might grab that too then. I keep smashing my Fender bottle on my late model...
Actually the XJ factory plug was a perfect fit. It plugged right in and the factory washer hose was perfect size too.

Fixed the pull! Turns out the Trutrac just needs to be broken in (I guess), it slowly diminished after ~300 miles.

I have been out wheeling the past two weekends. Went to Sawmill Pond OHV area and did some obstacles that where certainly pushing my skills. Learned a bit about the XJ as well.

Sawmill OHV area:
IMG_4793.jpg

Also took it up to the top of Signal Peak, the hard way. With the 30" tires I was dragging the rear diff over rocks often. Traction was never a problem though, even in the muddy sections or the snow (yes there was still snow up there last weekend). A stock XJ could do this trail...with the right driver.
IMG_4851.jpg

IMG_4848.jpg

Need to figure out a solution to keeping the jam nuts on the RC long arm kit from loosening.....

thanks for pics!
where is sawmill OHV area ?

Also for the jam nuts, use blue locktite or tack weld them.

thanks for pics!
where is sawmill OHV area ?

Also for the jam nuts, use blue locktite or tack weld them.

I tried the lock tite, Maybe I will tack them (I am only having a problem with the left main arm one).

Sawmill Pond OHV area is on Lake Tahoe BLVD about 2 miles from the
"Y" (hwy 50 and hwy 89 junction) in South lake Tahoe. It is clearly marked with man made obstacles ranging from easy (blue signs) to difficult (black signs). I found it by accident while camping at Fallon Leaf campground. Awesome area to practice! Some of the obstacles looked beyond my Jeeps ability and my ability.

It's more than likely your tire loosening the jamb nut if it's on the drivers side. I noticed that on my rubicon express arms my first trip out on them.

Wow crazy

Be careful at Fallen Leaf, they have it closed for a month or so now, they found Plague. Yes actually Plague.
They had signs everywhere. I guess all the squirrels and chipmunks have it.

Soooo trying to avoid traffic on hwy 80 this last weekend and ended up on some dirt roads gong 30mph+ through Colfax/Goldrun. Ended up tapping out the front left control arm on my cat two times...no good. Gotta run some quality bump stops to prevent this in the future. Wondering what everyone else is running. I think some extended urethane bump stops should do it unless i should get some nice hydraulic units? Opinions?

Back