• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thermostat Housing

Shogun

NAXJA Forum User
89, 4.0 Renix, Auto

Looking at another XJ recently (97 I think) I noticed that the thermo housing had a temp sensor installed at the right (driver) side.

Is this OEM for later models? I seem to recall something about corvette thermostats but not the details. If OEM, will it fit my motor? If not OEM, where do I get one?

Thanks

Yes, this is OEM for later models, they use different sensors for ECU/gauge.
Yes it will fit, but you will either need to install a sensor or plug the hole.

Right now my aftermarket temp sensor is in a brass T in the heater line. Not the best solution.

My intent is to sub this housing and put the temp sensor there instead.

Thanks

Right now my aftermarket temp sensor is in a brass T in the heater line. Not the best solution.

My intent is to sub this housing and put the temp sensor there instead.

Thanks

Go ahead - the sensor port is 3/8" NPT, so a plug or adapter bushing (if you have a 1/4" NPT or 1/8" NPT CTS) would be readily available at the hardware store. Use brass - it lasts longer.

You may be getting erroneous readings from your sensor in the T-fitting anyhow - unless the tip of the sensor is far enough in to get constant flow over it, it will be in a "flow pocket" - which makes the readings delayed, or just plain wrong. Temperature sensors are funny like that.

However, the housings will exchange handily, so you're good there. Mechanically, the only difference I can see (side-by-side) is the 3/8" NPT sensor port in the later piece.

Back