• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New snorkel write up

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have been asked to update the write up on my site on the Airflow snorkel once the new modifacations had been made. The difference is that I got the mould changed so that the entry into the engine bay is now closer to the firewall so there is now no need to remove the bottle from inside the guard. There has been no change to the outside at all. So I re wrote it and even managed a few pictures from the first Cherokee in the States to have it fitted when I took one over to Seattle for him recently. So big thanks to Tim Boone for those from PNWJeep club.

See my site for the write up. www.go.jeep-xj.info

For those who had not seen the snorkel before, it still the same as this one from the outside.

Kensnorkel.jpg

But alas, my friend...

I have had mine for over 3 months now. I had it shipped over by a friend on and Australian Nissan Patrol web board. And I must say, It was quite nice not having to cut into my bushwhackers.

How do we go about getting those on this side of the pond?

Also, what kind of mud flaps are those? Do the ones on the back look the same as the ones on the front?

Since you have an export XJ, who are your headlights made by? I've heard the exports got Cibies, but I thought I would get the answer from the horses mouth.

Last edited:
I originally tried to contact Airflow Snorkel to have them send one over from Down Under, but to no avail. I was told they dont ship worldwide. So i made a handshake (figuratively) deal with a friend on a web board based in Australia, and paid him to air it to me. See if you can make a buddy down there who wont take the money and run, so to speak.

I remember seeing someone was working on selling those over here. I thought it was DPG Offroad, but didn't see anything on their web site. There is some seriously cool stuff in Austrailia. I need one of those rear seats with the head-rests, I would love to spend some time in an Austrailian junk yard.

DEFINITELY! dammit, whyd you have to say that? Now i gotta go and start budgeting for a trip to Australia with a CONEX in tow! :roflmao:

ArcticXJ said:
I originally tried to contact Airflow Snorkel to have them send one over from Down Under, but to no avail. I was told they dont ship worldwide. So i made a handshake (figuratively) deal with a friend on a web board based in Australia, and paid him to air it to me. See if you can make a buddy down there who wont take the money and run, so to speak.

Well actually he fitted it back in July when I took it over there but he lost the pictures he took when he hard drive crashed! Then re-took a few for me a few months ago but have been way to busy of late to add them to my web site!
Glad you are happy with with it too and got the updated model then as well. Do you know which company he bought the snorkel off here to send it to you? Even here they can be hard to get a hold of as Safari ,with ARB's promotion as well at work, have taken a good hold of the market.

You didn't take any pictures of the install did you? I still have not got the same vehicle in my write up from one end to the other!

As for the others asking about where to get it, it was DPG Offroad and he has placed an order for 50 of them so long as they can get a good freight deal for him. That is where the hold up is as they dont ever deal with freighting themselves as it normally done by those buying them. They already send to New Zealand and Europe all the time but those companies look after that. I just hope it does not take too long thats all. Dirk has one of the new snorkels as a sample with him now but has not fitted it to anyones XJ yet.

ArcticXJ said:
DEFINITELY! dammit, whyd you have to say that? Now i gotta go and start budgeting for a trip to Australia with a CONEX in tow! :roflmao:

Umm, what's a 'CONEX'?

It's just a commonly overused name; I doubt it really reflects the box maker these days, sort of the same as how Kleenex refers to any number of nose-wiping papers.

pretty much^

Its just a term that gets used to generalize those big steel shipping containers you see getting hoisted off of barges. Theyre the ones that are about the size of your average mobile home... maybe a little shorter.

GoJeep said:
Now what I would also do to improve airflow through the air filter even more is bend some sheet steal in a arc from the back floor of the box where the snorkel hose enters, to the top of the front of the box to smooth the transition into the top of the airbox.

Just curious GoJeep, do you have any pictures of this??

Ya, ever since I put my Airflow on, I have had terrible mileage, you think this may give me an improvement?

Have not done it so dont have any pictures of putting in the curved floor. I run a much bigger filter for more filter area and it is designed also to remove dust before it even gets to the filter paper. In 2-3 years I still have not had to change it even after the Outback trips I have done.
Filter3.jpg

You should not have had a mileage drop either as no one else I know has reported that and if fact say it improved? Did you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and then discharging any residual power by turning on the headlights before re-connecting? What air filter are you using. Paper or oiled foam?
You can always think about what Bknudsten did with his install using one of these: http://knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm
Snorkel18.jpg

More details on my site. www.go.jeep-xj.info

Gojeep said:
You should not have had a mileage drop either as no one else I know has reported that and if fact say it improved? Did you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and then discharging any residual power by turning on the headlights before re-connecting? What air filter are you using. Paper or oiled foam?
You can always think about what Bknudsten did with his install using one of these:
Ya I read Bknudsten's write up when he did it. I don't have the money to do it, or the time because I'm up at college without my Jeep.

I have about 10 friends who have snorkels, and they said they all improved as well. I am running a K&N filter in the stock air box. As for the ECU, I did not do that, I did not remember reading in the directions anything about that. I will try that when I get home tonight, so all I have to do is disconnect a battery lead, and do that and it should be reset, and whats the need of it being reset?

Begster said:
Ya I read Bknudsten's write up when he did it. I don't have the money to do it, or the time because I'm up at college without my Jeep.

I have about 10 friends who have snorkels, and they said they all improved as well. I am running a K&N filter in the stock air box. As for the ECU, I did not do that, I did not remember reading in the directions anything about that. I will try that when I get home tonight, so all I have to do is disconnect a battery lead, and do that and it should be reset, and whats the need of it being reset?
You can leave the battery disconnected over night or discharge any power in the ECU by trying to turn on the headlights or start the engine while it is still disconnected. This forces the ECU to re-map all the values so make sure you drive your average way once re-connected. The extra air flow can be outside the range of the values you have before the change. Letting it sit at idle until the thermostat is open is said to be a good way of starting the reset as well.
Be careful with the K&N on how much oil you used as well. Too much and you restrict the airflow and too little will have you sucking dust. That is why I dont like them. Try dropping in a stock paper one and check the mileage.

I think I've read somewhere that the Airflow snorkel cannot be used on an XJ with ABS. Does the same hold true for the newer design? I want to get a snorkel and Bushwackers, but don't want to give up my ABS.

Back