• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quality headlight harness upgrade ?

GreaseMonkey17

NAXJA Forum User
I want to upgrade my headlight harness. However, all of the kits I’ve looked at have been extremely cheap and I don’t want to buy twice . I know they’re cheap but there has to be someone making a quality kit.

I bought an octane harness off Amazon, the wiring is far more stout than I new before buying. Plus two good relays that are clear. I have no regrets, and I'm glad I didn't buy putco ( simply for side by side comparability, the octane is Far more robust in construction)

Last edited:
I went the cheap route and bought Putco or something similar from Amazon. I'd be very surprised if it ever failed, other than a relay perhaps needing to be replaced some day. After all, it's not as if any moving parts are involved (other than whatever magic occurs internal to the relays).

Octane is the only one I saw that interested me . I guess I’ll just drop the hammer and get it shipped here . What about headlights would you go new housings with bulb of my choice or LED?

its just a harness so yeah, most are cheap. If your looking for high quality you could always build one to your liking. I just used silverstars thus far, the upgrade of the harness is worth the money alone. Eventually when I have coin for LED headlights i would love some JW's or trucs, theres no comparison in quality there and you will pay for it. IMO anyother LED- ebay junk isnt worth wasting your money on, nor is it safe blinding fellow drivers with poorly lensed lights.

With that said, I have no experience running LED + harness, but I would suspect if you bought a good LED light, you wont need, or notice a harness.

I would suggest trying the harness first, then If you want more light output you have all options now available. h4....Hid... LED....

on a side note: I added a small light bar to my bumper, months after the harness. The bar added an option of extremely white light + an amber setting. What Ive learned by having the ability to turn on intense white light, and having halogen headlights, is that I dont actually like having intense clear lighting always. Softer light (halogen) makes for a more comfortable driving experience at night. Extreme contrast in lighting and surroundings vs clarity is a rather large and untouched upon topic, which Ive never read about when I was researching lighting upgrades.

hope this gives some food for thought, youll love the upgrade no matter what you choose.

Last edited:
I went the cheap route and bought Putco or something similar from Amazon. I'd be very surprised if it ever failed, other than a relay perhaps needing to be replaced some day. After all, it's not as if any moving parts are involved (other than whatever magic occurs internal to the relays).

I got the putco as well. Been running it over 3 years with no issues. I thought it died on me last year, but my a/c guy just forgot to hook it back up!

I’d buy it again any day of the week.

I have a Putco harness on both of my XJ's and no complaints except for the relays. There are more expensive harnesses with better quality, or you can build your own.

I am using the harness that Chrysler put in my Jeep as well as the OE sealed beam headlights. They always turn on and I can see at night. .!.. :D ..!.

That’s the same one I’ve been contemplating on Amazon . I’m gping to order one tonight . I do a lot of driving and Want to upgrade both vehicles involved in my commute .

put a putco on mine. replaced housings and put H4 80/100 bulbs in. low beams don't work, could be a relay that got soaked or something. haven't dug into it yet.

thinking about just putting a LED bar up front instead of messing with headlight high/low.

put a putco on mine. replaced housings and put H4 80/100 bulbs in. low beams don't work, could be a relay that got soaked or something. haven't dug into it yet.

Did your rig come with factory fog lights? If so, try pulling the fog light relay from the PDC and see if it resolves the issue.

thinking about just putting a LED bar up front instead of messing with headlight high/low.

Might be the headlight switch also.
I had the same thing happen and it turned out to be the switch

I am using the harness that Chrysler put in my Jeep as well as the OE sealed beam headlights. They always turn on and I can see at night. .!.. :D ..!.

I never looked into the newer wiring diagrams, do the post '96 XJs run the headlight power through the switch like the older XJs?

In the past 12 years I have owned this XJ, I never had to replace a headlight. I think the voltage drop between the battery and the headlight is a factor in that longevity.

There's a lot of decent looking ones on Amazon. When I do mine I plan on using a relay box with a cover. I've also been contemplating using a harness for 4 headlights. I'll run 2 relays from each side of the factory harness. One set will operate the headlights and the other set I will wire just the power for the high beams through the relays then to a set of driving lights. I'm assuming this should work fine. Anyone tried this or think it won't work?

Back