• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust repair/ body mods

sinat01

NAXJA Forum User
Ill try to upload pics when I get home but here is what im dealing with.
1999 2 Door Cherokee
built rock rails in place of the rocker panels.
I want to do the cut n fold, buut instead of folding whats left of the rusty metal. I want to cut it off and make a plate to go in there. Has anyone done this instead? and if so, how heavy of a steel did you use?

the other issue I have is the door hinge pins are worn (again) the bottom hinge is ovaled out, and I have the typical cracks around the vent in the door frame. I want to get the braces that weld in, and figure since im doing one, I might as well do the one to brace the hinges also.
Could I drill the ovaled out hole back to round, and size up a bronze bushing to go in the whole and use a bolt or pin to keep the door where it needs to be?

url

I had the same issue with my lower rear quarters. Rusted out too much to do the cut and fold so with the combination of an angle grinder and sawzall I cut everything off and then welded in a plate. I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55FCUBiCCZg and just cut along the same lines he finished with. Can't remember the exact thickness of the metal used, but it was thicker than what I cut off as the welder tended to blow right through the thinner stuff I had. I'll be doing more and fixing a small rusted spot in the floor tomorrow and can supply pictures if needed, just let me know.

Back