• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is the stock steering pump and box enough?

OutkastBoss

NAXJA Forum User
When do upgraded steering pump/box or hydro assist become the way to go because the Oem setup doesn't cut it anymore?

My stock power steering has gotten weaker and weaker over the years, not sure if it's the pump or the box. The box always had a slow leak from the sector shaft and the pump would sometimes spill out of the reservoir cap. I also had to clearance the front skid a few times because the adjustment collars on the steering would bind up on it. I am sure that didn't help whatever was going out.

Anyways when it worked 100% it seemed to be enough for me. idk if that was when I was still on 31's though. I am currently on 33/10.50s with selectables F/R. I figured I would still be fine on stock and Hydro assist would be overkill. At one time I was thinking of getting a Psc pump and Box but idk if I want to spend the extra if I don't need it.

What do you guys think, is the stock Pump/Box enough? If so I will Prob get a new pump and add a filter and cooler. If that doesn't do it I would replace the box. I have been ignoring it and fighting the steering for way too long (years). It sucks at a dead stop so of course it's worse on trail.

looks like I could get a rebuilt Pump and box, w cooler, and filter at Autozone for $271 before the core returns of $25 and $16. That is going to be hard to beat since I think stock should fit my needs. Money is tight anyway because of a trip to go wheel in Silverton CO in Aug. but that's also the reason I want my steering fixed!

Stay away from Autozone. Very bad luck with their reman'd boxes. Went through two with horrible dead spots. Adjusting voids the 'lifetime warranty' as well.
https://youtu.be/UPRNA8CWHPk

Myself and a few others picked up the Lares box from Rockauto, and so far have been pretty happy with it. I'm running my stock pump on 31s and it's easier to drive than my GF's '14 CRV. A friend and fellow Jeeper has an '01 on 33s and stock box and pump, with no issues as well.

Sounds to me like it's the pump with the symptoms you describe. not enough flow to push your wheels around. Get a junkyard pump, they are cheap and usually still in good shape, and see if anything changes.

Also, what adjustment collars are you speaking of, the ones for the draglink and tie rods? You have under or over the knuckle steering? If so, and they hit your skid, sounds like the geometry is wrong, or the skid is misaligned.

YJ/Waggy box has a better fixed ratio, good cooler and quality fluid helps a ton

I just went through a similar situation - pump was slowly dying and the original box had a leak. I went with the following:

Lares 1353 box from Rockauto. $57.79 + $50 core.
PSC SP1205C pump and reservoir, $235.

The PSC pump is a new pump, slightly modified to provide more pressure. At least that's what I see looking at the high pressure fitting in the pump as compared to original.

I also installed a Magnefine filter and Derale cooler and SWEPCO 715 PS fluid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065LZA94/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XONQYG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I run 35's and this system works good. Although it has it's limitations in the rocks, I'll keep it as is, until I upgrade the 30.

Stock should be good for 31s. You can drill the pump outlet to get a little more fluid flow, no problem turning my 32s. After that you are probably looking at higher pump pressure, eg the WJ pump upgrade. Might need a new gear box in there somewhere. After that you're probably going hydro.

get a quality pump, add a cooler into the system, and consider running a smaller pulley if that doesn't do it. a quality stock box should work fine for you .

Durango box and WJ pump upgrade makes my 33's turn with a pinky. Great set-up and fairly cheap. Did mine with a cooler, filter and all new lines for about $300 total. Rockauto prices though. Just a thought if you want a solid set-up over stock.

Thanks for the advice guys, it looks like we are going to go with the Lares box. As for the rest I am still on the fence about some of it, lol. Mainly because I had more repairs on the XJ and car hauler than I expected before this trip.

The Derale cooler Ronbo posted looks awesome and probably cools better but at almost $70, I am leaning toward a cheaper option like this for $20 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HE6ULC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3V7LDN4P7B47B

Same thing with the filter The magnefine is $35 but this one can be had for $14 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OMSUTJS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I think maybe those two don't matter as much, but how much does the high quality fluid make a difference? The swepco 715 fluid can be had for around $60 but a cheapo brand would be more like $15.

I think I am most conflicted about the high quality fluid and the pump itself. I am leaning heavily toward the PSC pump. However a new or re-manufactured Lares pump from rockauto would be less than 1/2 what the PSC pump costs. I am still leaning toward the PSC pump because otherwise I have just refreshed the steering (really all it needs I think). It would be nice to get some upgrade but is it going to be a noticeable difference over the Lares pump?

I guess I will sleep on it and see if you guys have any more input and put in the order tomorrow.

before I went full hydro I had a YJ box and stock pump with the outlet drilled, cheap fluid would foam up quicky, with a good cooler and lucas fluid id never have that problem, now I run a PSC full hydro kit with a derale heatsink cooler and swepco fluid and no issues even on the hottest days. both setups was turning 42's.

Thanks for the info!

We went with the PSC pump and decided it would be stupid to run cheap fluid through it so we got the Swepco fluid.

We got a new return line and went with the Cheaper filter and cooler I posted. I would have gotten the one Rob posted, but I saw it too late. The high pressure line is only a few months old so I am just going to rinse it out with the new fluid and reuse it.

I will check back in after install and our next wheeling trip for future searchers. Now on to search install and bleeding procedure!

Well, my steering is easier than it ever has been, Idk if I would want it any easier on the highway. Problem is I have a huge amount of play right in the middle of the steering box where it has slop and then kinda clunks when it does grab.

I got the Lares Box because my old one leaked at the pitman arm mainly, but my old box was solid with no play. Does anyone besides PSC or AGR even sell a new box? I hate to spend that much and really cant right atm. Am running out of time for our Wheelin' trip!

looks like I am going to have Rock auto send me a replacement, I hope it's a good one.
If not I will have to make due with the dead spot for this trip and return it when I get home. If that is the case I will likely get a Red head or PSC steering box after I get back in town. Kinda crappy that so many remans are of such low quality, IDK how they all dont get returned since my Jeep drives like crap on the highway now.

We still have the 2nd Lares box on the way but I decided to look into the PSC box too. After searching it looks like all the part #'s people used are discontinued? Also a PSC website search for the Jeep year range shows no steering boxes at all. It does show a $800 Right hand drive one. Do they no longer make a box that would work for a u.s. XJ?

I am confused, I thought I needed to figure out if I needed the small or big bore or what ratio I needed. Now Idk if they make one at all. Figured with the PSC pump a matching box would maybe be the way to go.

I did find this PSC box on amazon but IDK if I should be buying a box that is possibly discontinued, maybe I will call PSC tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NMXSTNW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3M34IZP1UYQ4A

Just got off the phone with PSC apparently when they are out of an item they completely remove it from the site. They said it would be a few weeks before they had them in stock. For reference the SG654 box is the same power as a stock box but is of a higher quality it can be had for around $500 The big bore Box SG061 Would be more power but costs around $800.
With those prices and my tire size I would definitely get the cheaper box.
I was able to find the cheaper box in stock on amazon and the big bore on Ebay.

I called Red head as well, they also do not have the Xj box listed on the site. They do however have some in stock. For reference theirs are $296 with a $150 core charge. They guarantee a high quality box with no slop but I am not sure if it would have the same improvements the Psc would have or not.

The 2nd Lares box gets here tomorrow I hope I am not wasting my time installing it. I got a loan to help fund my trip and could afford to just order the PSC or Redhead and get it barely in time for my trip.

However all this pans out i will check back in for ppl to reference later, I hate threads that don't have an "ending".

Back