• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to bypass blower motor fuse in fuse block??

thatredcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys i recently picked up a 93 xj and the blower motor didn't work.
recently went to figure out why and the fuse was melted but it also melted the connections in the fuse block. Is there a way i can just cut the wires going to the fuse block and put in inline fuse there? or do i need to put a power source to the fuse??

any help will be appreciated.

ive already put power to the blower motor and it works fine, resistor is fine and so is the switch on the back of the control, nothing is melted.

I would wire a pigtail fuse holder in place of the existing fuse. There is a reason the fuse blew/melted the block. Hopefully the PO replaced the motor or the problem, but just because it runs, is not an indication that the motor is fine. It could be pulling way too much current.

yeah im going to replace the motor just to be safe.

so how would i go about wiring the fuse holder in?

sorry im not good with wiring, anything mechanical or suspension im great at but electrical confuses me lol

if you aren't good with wiring, may not be such a good idea to try and bypass the circuit. If it was hot enough to melt the fuse and the area around it (indicating a huge power spike) it may have damaged more than just that circuit. You would be better off in the long run to get a new / good used harness for under the dash and replace it.

There was no other damage on the fuse box then that circuit. Everything else works as it should
I wouldn't count on that, I'd check the wiring going into the ignition switch also.

Like everybody said it melted for a reason, most likely a partially shorted resistor pack.

Before I replaced the motor, I'd run it for awhile and see how hot it gets. Use your finger (carefully) on the motor connector and the housing. Most times the problem is a loose connection or a resistor pack short. The whole leg of that circuit is kind of over amped (marginal) anyway and it doesn't usually take much to have a meltdown, the meltdown is often at the ignition switch connector.

i just completely bypassed that whole circuit. was kinda worried.
just hard wired the blower motor to a switch with a relay and inline fuse.
also have a fire extinguisher mounted on my a piller by the windshield just in case :)

now have to figure out why my D*** blinkers and brake lights just stopped working....

guess its the fun of owning a jeep again.
2nd xj had a zj in between that

Back