NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 8th, 2017, 18:18
NAXJA Member

Re: Which axles would you use?

I would build the JK Rubi axles if you already have them
Old August 9th, 2017, 18:27
NAXJA Forum User

I know this is going to start a dumpster fire but why not sell your JK axles buy someone's built 1 ton axles. You are located in WV so you know that you can't crawl everything. I guess you can develop skills not breaking stock jeep axles or picking lines you won't drag diffs on.

That's my thought and your options will be much greater with 8 lugs and only become vulnerable on tires over 40"
Old August 10th, 2017, 06:11
NAXJA Forum User

Been out of town at coaching classes... Thanks for all the input, WV has state inspection so tons are out of the question, way to wide. JK axles on stock offset wheels and 35 12.50's are 1/4 in narrower then stock xj axles on 4in offset wheels and 35 12.50's. It'll work but I have to stay on stock offset JK wheels...I don't like that. I'm not going over a 35 in tire, if I need to wheel hard I'll take the truggy but I'm trying to get out of the truck and trailer life and go back to driving to the trail...
Old August 10th, 2017, 11:24
NAXJA Forum User

Which axles would you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb8 View Post
Been out of town at coaching classes... Thanks for all the input, WV has state inspection so tons are out of the question, way to wide. JK axles on stock offset wheels and 35 12.50's are 1/4 in narrower then stock xj axles on 4in offset wheels and 35 12.50's. It'll work but I have to stay on stock offset JK wheels...I don't like that. I'm not going over a 35 in tire, if I need to wheel hard I'll take the truggy but I'm trying to get out of the truck and trailer life and go back to driving to the trail...

In that case just put ARBs and chromo axle shafts in the axles you have now. Maybe bump up to 4.88s. It sounds like you'll make the right decision.

Warning two people from our club in NC came home from Moab with broken spartan lockers on 35s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 10th, 2017, 13:49
NAXJA Member

My opinion would be stay on 33's and stockish axles (no rcv's, full case locker and cheap alloys at best), jk d44's if going to 35's or 37's with a conservative pedal, or go tons if you are ok with not driving the thing on the street very often and dont care if you roll it.
If i had to choose, i'd stay on 33's with stock axles, which is what i went back to after 37's and tons.
IMO, wheeling is only fun if you have a challenge and you make it off the trail without destroying your rig. The bigger you get, the harder it is to be challenged without the high probability of severe body damage. If you want the challenge of the gnarliest trails, build a buggy and buy a tow rig. If you want to drive across the country, wheel, and drive home, stay where you're at and drive accordingly.
Old August 10th, 2017, 14:14
NAXJA Forum User

Yea I've gone big then back the other way, I went through Lions Den in under 6 minutes this spring. Didn't spin a tire or back up, now doing the Rubicon trail in all but stock xj with 35's and a open front end...LOL That was fun...... I did make Crawl Magazine this month in my truggy, great time......