NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 7th, 2017, 06:40
NAXJA Forum User

Which axles would you use?

I have a 98 xj D30/8.25, 456 gears and a spartan in the rear. My wife uses it as a DD and we pull are teardrop camper with it. I recently drove it from WV to California and ran the Rubicon in it, now I need to upgrade everything because I want to go to Easter Jeep in the spring. I have a set of JK Rubicon D44's with 8 thousand miles on them, but I'm on the fence between using them or selling them and putting a OX locker and RCV's in the D30.....Anyone have any experience with the 44's under a xj?

Here's a few pics of the Rubicon trip,

Old August 7th, 2017, 07:07
Mostly Harmless

Re: Which axles would you use?

You should talk to Nimrod about an Ox locker in the front. I think he will tell you that you need to actuate it with something other than a cable. I know he has invested more time and effort than initially planned.

(Not that this answers your question about the axles...still seems relevant.)
Old August 7th, 2017, 07:34
NAXJA Member

D30's on rocks with 33's are marginal at best. When you lock it, it gets worse. I got to the point where I could change out a drivers side shaft in less than 15 minutes. Even with the D44 upgrade from a 88 Ford Truck, I still have replace a couple of shafts and I drive very conservatively.

Like your teardrop. Where did you get it? I designed and built a very similar one from scratch.
Old August 7th, 2017, 07:52
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Dana 30 on 35's can and will survive if it is respected and driven as such. There are many Jeeps that have done most every JV Hammer trail dozens of times both directions, with such. Currently theres a TJ on 35's that has out performed a few purpose built buggys on 39-40" tires, in Johnson valley on more occasions then they would care to admit. He has ran the same 30spline inner and outer 4340 shafts and E-Locker for a few years now, and never broke a shaft or a locker. Its how you drive. And that doesnt mean you have to back down when you get to a larger obstacle, it means you have to actually drive it, not just point and shoot.

I would highly suggest against a OX, but thats just from the past experience while installing and customer adjustments of cables. If you are going to convert to Air, just get an air locker.
All your drivetrain And Jeep needs at a Discount! Call us for all your drivetrain & Jeep accessorry needs. If it is for a Jeep we can get it for less and with superior service. Yukon, USA Standard, Motive, Ten factory, Detroit, ARB, Teraflex, Rock Krawler & A LOT MORE..
All items ship FAST! ~ http://www.rwkhaussupply.com ~ Robert@RWKHausSupply.com Free shipping on Rock Krawler kits. Dana 30 no question asked 1yr warranty axle kits FOR LESS!
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:22
PostMaster General

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_man View Post
D30's on rocks with 33's are marginal at best. When you lock it, it gets worse. I got to the point where I could change out a drivers side shaft in less than 15 minutes. Even with the D44 upgrade from a 88 Ford Truck, I still have replace a couple of shafts and I drive very conservatively.

Like your teardrop. Where did you get it? I designed and built a very similar one from scratch.
Well.... I have 35's and when I had time to wheel it, I was hard on it.... very hard. The main issue I encountered was the tube getting kinked in the pumpkin because a spot weld gave. 4.88's, detroit, alloy shafts, CTM ujoints and the long tube welded to the pumpkin and I wave done everything I wanted

Having said that - if you have a Rubi D44 front the issue with that is that the shafts and ujoints are same as D30. You do get upgraded R&P and locker but seeing for how much those axles go, I would consider trussing the D30, putting in a selectable locker, getting alloy shafts and really good ujoints (CTM or the like).

Rear, no brainer - D44. I would get an XJ 44 though as parts are simpler and cheaper from what I recall. The Rubi D44 is nice but you'd have to do perches and everything. So the $ that you could get for the front & rear D44 you'd be able to reinvest back into getting good stuff for the axles.

Anyways, alloys all the way around, front and rear axles trussed, selectable lockers and you're golden. Oh yeah, disk brake conversion for the XJ D44 is easy! All you need is a crown vic for a donor
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:30
Associate

my .02

Unless you are going to sink money into the JK44s and build them (lockers, alloys, etc.) the fabrication involved in putting them under an XJ properly isn't worth it.

Sell the 44s.

in the Front:
D30
30spline ARB
Revolution Gear and Axle 5.13s
Revolution Gear and Axle 30 spline Alloy shafts (upgrades the shaft size and ujoint)

In the rear
D44/8.8
ARB
Revolution Gear and Axle 5.13
Alloy shafts.

that Combo will reliably run 35"s all day long.

for future upgrades:
Hydro Assist
Big Brake Kit
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:35
Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kejtar View Post
Well.... I have 35's and when I had time to wheel it, I was hard on it.... very hard. The main issue I encountered was the tube getting kinked in the pumpkin because a spot weld gave. 4.88's, detroit, alloy shafts, CTM ujoints and the long tube welded to the pumpkin and I wave done everything I wanted

Having said that - if you have a Rubi D44 front the issue with that is that the shafts and ujoints are same as D30. You do get upgraded R&P and locker but seeing for how much those axles go, I would consider trussing the D30, putting in a selectable locker, getting alloy shafts and really good ujoints (CTM or the like).

Rear, no brainer - D44. I would get an XJ 44 though as parts are simpler and cheaper from what I recall. The Rubi D44 is nice but you'd have to do perches and everything. So the $ that you could get for the front & rear D44 you'd be able to reinvest back into getting good stuff for the axles.

Anyways, alloys all the way around, front and rear axles trussed, selectable lockers and you're golden. Oh yeah, disk brake conversion for the XJ D44 is easy! All you need is a crown vic for a donor
he has JK 44s

which are wider and the wrong bolt pattern.

to swap those into an XJ you are cutting off every bracket, spending a few hundred in new brackets
new steering, completely custom
new wheels.

and then you still have to spend money on upgrading them so they can be wheeled.
the JK44 front housing is weak, and the inner Cs are even worse.
at the very least it should get a truss and inner-C gussets.

oh and they are for whatever reason worth considerably more money than TJ/XJ axles.
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:38
PostMaster General

Hence I suggested selling them. They're more expensive btw because they're somewhat rare..... I know.... I got a JK and the parts for the rubi axles for jk are more expensive.

Anyways I agree with you on all but 5.13s..... I'd do 4.88s and invest into 4:1down the road.
Old August 7th, 2017, 11:45
Associate

nobody's perfect
Old August 7th, 2017, 12:07
Livin' the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
You should talk to Nimrod about an Ox locker in the front. I think he will tell you that you need to actuate it with something other than a cable. I know he has invested more time and effort than initially planned.
Absolutely right. The steel cable is just too rigid for the tight turns required to route it on a front axle, in my opinion, and it's real vulnerable to damage from rubbing and from heat. If you go Ox, go air!

For what it's worth, I run 33's on a D30, protected by an Artec truss. I haven't busted a shaft yet, nor have I bent a tube. I carry spare shafts on the trail, but hope to go to chromoly one of these days, when my business picks up.

Bill Kirchen and Billy C. Farlow, as recorded by Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen
Old August 7th, 2017, 12:35
NAXJA Forum User

JK 44s are a completely different animal. they are more than just a bigger ring and pinion like the TJ 44s.

JK 44s get a bad rap for being weak that really isnt justified. keep in mind that the people breaking them have 37s on a 6k pound rig. a simple truss and C gussets go a long way, which you will want for your 30 if you keep it as well.
Old August 7th, 2017, 22:11
Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAhasnoWAVES View Post
JK 44s are a completely different animal. they are more than just a bigger ring and pinion like the TJ 44s.

JK 44s get a bad rap for being weak that really isnt justified. keep in mind that the people breaking them have 37s on a 6k pound rig. a simple truss and C gussets go a long way, which you will want for your 30 if you keep it as well.
A friend of mine built one for his TJ.

sleeved the long side tube.
C gussets
Reid knuckles.
alloy shafts
CTMs
ARB.

yes he runs 37"s. but he's broken enough parts to turn me off from ever building one. considering how few parts I've broken on a built 30 on 35"s (almost none)

I simply don't think the cost of building one is worth it.
Old August 8th, 2017, 04:00
NAXJA Forum User

No matter what you do some day you will probably need to change bolt pattern. The 8.25 won't hold up I blew a pinion bearing pulling a YJ up Cadillac Hill and then roasted the R&P on the way home. The JK axles will be a good fit or you can run a Dana 44 Waggy up front and Ford 9" rear.
Old August 8th, 2017, 09:51
NAXJA Member

I'd build the jk rubi 44's. Bigger shafts, ujoints, gears, and comes with an air locker. Some brackets, new gears, and a truss. That will be more reliable than the xj 30. You will need to address the bolt pattern though.
Old August 8th, 2017, 10:14
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
I'd build the jk rubi 44's. Bigger shafts, ujoints, gears, and comes with an air locker. Some brackets, new gears, and a truss. That will be more reliable than the xj 30. You will need to address the bolt pattern though.
JK rubi are electric based lockers.
JK rubi are metric carrier bearing size, so only lockers you can ever use are stock (weak), ARB 35 spline ($$ and new shafts are needed) or maybe a problematic OX ( I think they have something).
JK rubi front housing and inner C are very weak.
JK axles are 4.5ish" wider
JK are 5x5" wheel pattern.
JK axles do have a better brake setup.
JK do have larger gear sets and bearings than all other TJ/XJ OE D44 axles.

just some facts..
All your drivetrain And Jeep needs at a Discount! Call us for all your drivetrain & Jeep accessorry needs. If it is for a Jeep we can get it for less and with superior service. Yukon, USA Standard, Motive, Ten factory, Detroit, ARB, Teraflex, Rock Krawler & A LOT MORE..
All items ship FAST! ~ http://www.rwkhaussupply.com ~ Robert@RWKHausSupply.com Free shipping on Rock Krawler kits. Dana 30 no question asked 1yr warranty axle kits FOR LESS!