NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 27th, 2017, 08:48
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Looking for a winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntkat View Post
Here, I made it easy for you... on this site you can find every FM :
http://everyspec.com/ARMY/FM-Field-Manual/
That's a solid site, they have a ton of good info.
Old July 27th, 2017, 20:21
NAXJA Member

I have a harbor freight 12k new in box -- bought it a few weeks ago on sale -- $279 I think -- I was intending it for my suburban but am really thinking it may work well on the XJ

It's a heavy beast though

Anyone know how the HF 12K compares weight wise to a warn 9K?
Old July 27th, 2017, 20:53
NAXJA Member 4950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyopp View Post
I have a harbor freight 12k new in box -- bought it a few weeks ago on sale -- $279 I think -- I was intending it for my suburban but am really thinking it may work well on the XJ

They both are around 85lbs.
Old July 28th, 2017, 04:08
NAXJA Forum User

Does anyone have experience with the rough country winches? They seem decently priced. I assume they are a rebrand of another manufacturer.
Old July 28th, 2017, 18:05
NAXJA Member

Like most winches they are made in China, most work fine, some don't. I'm not knocking them as most brands have at least some parts made in China. It's all about how you feel. I had my Warn given to me or I would probably have one of the less prominent brands on my Jeep as Warn prices are really high. You do seem to get what you pay for though. Here's a link to a winch shootout, it's several years old but is interesting none the less.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/12...inch-shootout/
Old July 28th, 2017, 20:19
NAXJA Forum User

I bought a rough country 9500lb from there eBay scratch and dent store. As far as I can tell it had never been out of the box, granted I paid more for a synthetic line then I did for the winch. Everytime I have had to use it works great, not the fastest that I have seen but it has never left me stranded or needing someone else to recover my Jeep.
Old July 31st, 2017, 11:19
NAXJA Forum User

bought an Engo about 5 years ago. the Four Wheeler Mag winch shootout had a lot to do with my decision. I've only used it a handful of times, but it's fast, power efficient and definitely pulls every bit of it's rating. works great for what I do with it. bought a 10k for under $400. would definitely buy it again.

skip the remote and hard wire a switch on your dash.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 12:35
NAXJA Forum User

Do you guys see any value in being able to drive 10 minutes down the road to get a new winch, if needed? I see value in this by purchasing a HF winch with their warranty. I could spend 3-500 on a new or used winch and it takes a puke a month later. I'd be stuck shipping it back on my dime or repairing it myself. Being able to exchange at any HF is a consideration I feel some overlook? Just weighing the risks, I'm not partial to any brand.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 14:36
NAXJA Forum User

IMO when you need your winch, there's no driving down the road. you're stuck. and your winch just crapped out. hopefully you're not alone, 5 miles from the trailhead with a broken axle or bent tie rod.

exchanging a winch never crossed my mind until you mentioned it
Old August 3rd, 2017, 15:24
NAXJA Forum User

More than that! When you have to trust your life on one!
Old August 4th, 2017, 06:11
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumeknob View Post
Do you guys see any value in being able to drive 10 minutes down the road to get a new winch, if needed? I see value in this by purchasing a HF winch with their warranty. I could spend 3-500 on a new or used winch and it takes a puke a month later. I'd be stuck shipping it back on my dime or repairing it myself. Being able to exchange at any HF is a consideration I feel some overlook? Just weighing the risks, I'm not partial to any brand.
That's similar to my situation, and exactly why I did that.

The HF winches- both old and new- have given me no trouble.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Next: finish front, build rear bumpers, Dana 44's front and rear.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31's. The wife's mall crawler. She's gotten inchitis over my S10 though...
-97 XJ: Son's DD. Mild mods for the new driver.
Old August 4th, 2017, 06:13
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
IMO when you need your winch, there's no driving down the road. you're stuck. and your winch just crapped out. hopefully you're not alone, 5 miles from the trailhead with a broken axle or bent tie rod.

Well, there are other ways to get a vehicle out. If you have a winch one can assume you have a hilift- it, too, is a winch.

for that matter, you have winches mounted on every vehicle. They're called tires.
Sometimes you have to be creative. Again I'll refer back to FM 20-22. It is quite literally, the Vehicle Recovery Bible. If you're this worried about getting stuck, there ought to be a copy of this in your glovebox, and you should have read it already.

EDIT: Because I'm a nice guy- here's a copy for $8.60, shipped to your door:
https://www.ebay.com/i/160942678178?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Disclaimer- not me, not my auction. I just bought one, myself, to put in my son's XJ.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Next: finish front, build rear bumpers, Dana 44's front and rear.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31's. The wife's mall crawler. She's gotten inchitis over my S10 though...
-97 XJ: Son's DD. Mild mods for the new driver.

Last edited by burntkat; August 4th, 2017 at 06:18.
Old August 4th, 2017, 06:29
NAXJA Member 4950

I all is going to depend upon usage and exactly how much your going to trust i cheap knock off winch.
I have a 8274 that i bought 30 years ago and have abused the living heck out and it still runs like a champ. Meanwhile i dont even remotely expect my T-Max/CSI to live that long or to tolertate that much abuse.
Old August 4th, 2017, 06:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post

I agree with you but this scenario can happen with any brand. I think I'm going to keep looking for a good used Warn.
Old August 4th, 2017, 06:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyopp View Post

i bought the smittybuilt 9500 pound winch with rope for 350.

lighter, smaller, and faster line speed then a comparable warn or superwinch. i did a ton of researching comparing a lot of winches... motor size, gearing, construction, etc. and it just so happened that the one i felt fit my needs/usage best was also fairly cheap. has been problem free for 2 years now. the advantage of rope far outweighs the extra pulling power. its literally 70 pounds less hanging off the front of the vehicle compared to cable. these arent full size trucks either. if 9500# isnt enough, a snatch block picks up the slack very cheap and easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumeknob View Post
no... i see an advantage in my stuff working if and when i need it. it should not fail. you should be checking and prepping your equipment routinely and before and after a significant trip. a warranty will not make up for ones lack of preparation in the event that they need the equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
More than that! When you have to trust your life on one!
this. ive done this.

even when you are confident in your equipment, its terrifying.