NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 10th, 2017, 08:47
NAXJA Forum User

Re: What happened to the Mishimoto radiator thread?

I am hoping that Mishimoto (Steve) gets back to me today regarding a delivery time. Otherwise I will go with the Griffon. I have to get up in the mountains soon!
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:55
NAXJA Forum User

Hey everybody,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all, I was out of the office all last week and just returned. I'll be returning all of your PM's today and talking to the project manager about you guys testing for us. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to get these out to anybody before the expected launch date (which is the middle or end of September at this point). Like I said, I'll be responding to your PM's today and hopefully we can get setup with some of you to review the rad.

Thanks everybody!

-Steve
Old August 14th, 2017, 07:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCat63 View Post
Really interested in this radiator, and will be ordering one for the wifes 97. If it works well, I'll order another one for my 99 2 door build later this year.

Will it be available without the built in cooler?
That's awesome to hear! We don't have any plans at this time to build this rad without the built-in trans cooler, however, I will pass your interest on to our development team. This rad will work with manual transmission XJ's and the built-in cooler shouldn't have a major effect on flow or cooling without trans fluid running through it.

Thanks!

-Steve
Old August 14th, 2017, 11:24
NAXJA Member

Are the cooler fittings threaded in a way that will accept AN-6 adapters
Old August 14th, 2017, 11:52
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
I know (and like) where you are going with this, but even if they aren't, it's a LP system, wouldn't be hard to adapt to -6AN, even if it means a short hose with a pushlok and barrel.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Next: finish front, build rear bumpers, Dana 44's front and rear.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31's. The wife's mall crawler. She's gotten inchitis over my S10 though...
-97 XJ: Son's DD. Mild mods for the new driver.
Old August 15th, 2017, 10:29
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
The upper fitting is welded with a male 5/8-18 thread with a 45* taper at the end (designed to work with the stock trans cooler lines). It's probably possible to find an AN adapter or have one made, but it may be hard to find.

The lower port is a simple 5/8-18 female for a compression fitting, so that shouldn't be too hard to find an adapter for.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

-Steve
Old August 15th, 2017, 19:39
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
The upper fitting is welded with a male 5/8-18 thread with a 45* taper at the end (designed to work with the stock trans cooler lines). It's probably possible to find an AN adapter or have one made, but it may be hard to find.
Reason I asked is I have not been able to find a 5/8-18 male flare to AN -6 adapter anywhere and am having to use a cut piece of stock line with a hose clamp on it.
Old August 16th, 2017, 07:51
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Reason I asked is I have not been able to find a 5/8-18 male flare to AN -6 adapter anywhere and am having to use a cut piece of stock line with a hose clamp on it.
You should be able to braze a steel -6JIC to a 5/8-18 bung to make an adapter.

JIC fittings are directly compatible with AN. The only difference to note is the AN are made with aluminum, the JIC are steel.

Additionally, JIC are cheaper, and I can get them at Northern Tool (though I am going to pay through the nose to do so.. .and even so, they are still cheaper!)

I plumb everything with JIC, bwcause I can use regular wrenches with them and not mar the finish, and this isn't a Space Shuttle we are building, where every ounce counts.That said, there are some AN adapters on my rig for no more reason than that I happened to find them at the hydro shop, or already had them on hand. Perfect example would be the hydroboost brake booster and Saginaw steering box in my S10.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Next: finish front, build rear bumpers, Dana 44's front and rear.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31's. The wife's mall crawler. She's gotten inchitis over my S10 though...
Old August 16th, 2017, 11:45
NAXJA Member

Quote:
This?
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/rus-640610

The other style with a male 5/8 end is available too. I used them on my external trans cooler.
Old August 16th, 2017, 12:13
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
Nope, I bought a couple of those thinking they were the right kind but (1) the inside mating surface is flat not 45-degree, and (2) threads are too short to engage due to the flat mating surface
Old August 17th, 2017, 06:10
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Nope, I bought a couple of those thinking they were the right kind but (1) the inside mating surface is flat not 45-degree, and (2) threads are too short to engage due to the flat mating surface
You don't want a 45 degree flare. That's SAE spec. You want 37 degree, which is what JIC and AN flares use. (and judging by the description of the part, it's AN, so, 37 degrees_

That said, yes, a 45 degree flare can work in LP circuits, when used with JIC/AN fittings. So it would probably work just fine- but it is by no means *right*.

I'll find the proper fitting for you when I get a few minutes.
Old August 17th, 2017, 06:12
NAXJA Member #1145

Hell, that was easy...

https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...1157-06-06.htm

This appears to be what you need for the lower port. Can you confirm? It would entirely replace the fitting in the radiator, as it has male threads on each end. You really wouldn't want to adapt an adapter, anyway- go back to hard metal if at all possible.

Will continue to look for the upper, as it's 5/8-18 male, welded in place...

EDIT: that's going to be the hard one. I can understand wanting to standardize on AN/JIC I am doing that mostly, myself. But I've found it's often a best practice (such as on my transmission) to use field-serviceable ends on the appropriate hose and fitting, into that device, and come out a foot or two with "stingers" that terminate in JIC (AN in your case) swivels.

This keeps things standardized on a given fitting type as much as possible to make field serviceability easier (by just carrying one type of hose and a few fittings) while removing the concern of the assembly loosening up due to adapter-on-adapter muchkups. Each connection is a potential failure point. The issue I was having with the transmission was a slow weep at the 1/4NPT-6JIC adaptation as I wasn't able to get them properly torqued in-situ. With the foot-long stinger arrangement I could assemble on the ground, lift and mount, and then make the fluid fittings in a place where I could apply proper torque.

Granted torquing the fittings isn't such an issue with the radiator, but I still think I'd just go with the 5/8-18 field-serviceable fitting directly into the rad, with a foot or so stinger ending in a female -6AN for both lines.

Last edited by burntkat; August 17th, 2017 at 06:22.
Old August 17th, 2017, 08:37
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntkat View Post
You don't want a 45 degree flare. That's SAE spec. You want 37 degree, which is what JIC and AN flares use. (and judging by the description of the part, it's AN, so, 37 degrees_

That said, yes, a 45 degree flare can work in LP circuits, when used with JIC/AN fittings. So it would probably work just fine- but it is by no means *right*.

I'll find the proper fitting for you when I get a few minutes.
Its the part that was suggested. As you have since found, the correct adapter does not seem to exist. Unfortunately the closest part doesn't work (no engagement). Adding multiple adapters in a string together will make the bung stick out, and if you use hose in between its going to present multiple opportunities for leaks. The only real option is to use the end from a piece of stock hardline and some clamps.

Last edited by ehall; August 17th, 2017 at 08:43.
Old August 17th, 2017, 11:15
NAXJA Member #1145

All very true, but I think all things being equal, I'd just go with the short stingers as I mentioned previously, and spend the skull-sweat (and money) elsewhere.

That said, I'm the guy that's been trying for about 3 weeks (and numerous hours at the parts store comparing specs) to find a power steering pump pulley with holes in the face (to access pump bolts) for a SBC with serpentine drive and Saginaw P-series pump... when I could probably just have spent the $60 at PSC and moved on to something else, so I get it.
Old August 17th, 2017, 12:38
NAXJA Member

If you know the ID, OD, groove count (belt ridges), and centerline offset, you can probably use one of the Dorman pulleys to get close. I have had to do that a couple of times. Anything that is within .00n inches is thousandths of an inch, will press no problem