NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 28th, 2017, 15:39
NAXJA Member 4950

Re: What happened to the Mishimoto radiator thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondejoncherokee View Post
So would there be a 1-row all aluminum with a single 2" row and a really high fins per inch count for say 250$ ? and a 2 row all aluminum with (2) 1.25" rows with a really high fins per inch count for say 500$ ?

if we can be sure its high quality I suppose it will be worth the price. Ive had good luck with the eBay cheap 2 rows myself, but I also replace radiators every 3 years or so regardless one way or the other .

I suppose I would not mind the price tag as much if I knew for a fact that these things are leagues better over the eBay cheap-os in every way possible.
If you are having to replace raduators every couple of years either the ebay ones arent working for you as well as you think or you need to stop using acid for coolant.
Old July 28th, 2017, 15:39
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kejtar View Post
But you cant show off a radiator
Or light up the corner of the Wal-Mart parking lot like daytime, while you thump some bass......waiting for your coolant temps to drop below 220.
Old July 29th, 2017, 22:10
Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJEEPER View Post
Interesting dialog.

Many XJers don't have a problem dropping $1,000 on aftermarket lighting and audio equipment.
They also spend several thousand dollars on lifts, tires, wheels, armor, roof racks, etc, which add weight and rolling/wind resistance to the rig and make the engine work harder, which taxes the stock cooling system.

Spending $500 on a better radiator to offset the additional cooling demands created by all of these mods and to keep your engine performing at designed operating temps for over 100k miles seems like a pretty good deal.
I have this same discussion(and frustration) with steering.
Old July 30th, 2017, 09:33
NAXJA Member #1145

Some of us don't waste money. A grand in the audio system is downright stupid.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Next: finish front, build rear bumpers, Dana 44's front and rear.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31's. The wife's mall crawler. She's gotten inchitis over my S10 though...
-97 XJ: Son's DD. Mild mods for the new driver.
Old July 30th, 2017, 13:25
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
I'd have to go digging for the invoice, but off a quick search I think this one:

http://www.griffinrad.com/load_detai... y_id=8-00168
Last year when my 2k with a 0331 head started having a over-heating issues I splurged on a Griffin. Their reputation for quality/workmanship was good enough for me. While it didn't fix my problem it sure didn't overheat. Now with the new stroker and a Hesco pump it likes to stay cool!
Old July 30th, 2017, 21:32
NAXJA Member

Quote:
I'd have to go digging for the invoice, but off a quick search I think this one:

http://www.griffinrad.com/load_detai... y_id=8-00168
The Giffin Radiator website states: "Jeep Cherokee Large Thick Core Notes: Will Not Fit as Factory"

So this radiator requires the use of two ten inch fans.

If I wanted to retain the stock fan set up would you recommend a great cooling and quality radiator?
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport - 4.0L/AW4/242 T/C, Dana 30/Dana 44, ARB lockers + compressor with OBA, 4.11 Spicer Gears, Dana 44 modified for ABS and it works, 4 inch OME/DPG Hybrid Lift, 31-10.50 BFG AT on Jeep Ravine wheels, Tom Woods SYE and driveshaft, Adjustable JKS lower control arms. Armor: Rigidco front bumper with tow bar mounts, Driving lights, and Fog lights, Rigid D2 LED Lights, Detours Slimline rear Bumper with tire carrier, JCR stage 3 sliders, transfer case and fuel tank skids

Last edited by bwinter1946; July 30th, 2017 at 21:39. Reason: added info
Old July 30th, 2017, 22:21
NAXJA Member 4950

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
The Giffin Radiator website states: "Jeep Cherokee Large Thick Core Notes: Will Not Fit as Factory"

If I wanted to retain the stock fan set up would you recommend a great cooling and quality radiator?
Mopar HD XJ radiator 52080104AC
Old July 31st, 2017, 06:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
wait. you make customers pay freight on warranty repairs?
Unfortunately, to keep product costs down for everybody, we do. My colleagues and I usually try to work within our means to offset or reduce that cost in one way or another; but that's not always possible. Hopefully you never have to use our warranty, but if you do, you can always reach out to myself or one of my colleagues on the forums and we'll do whatever we can to help.

Quote:

Our radiator will be a direct fit with the factory fans

-Steve
Old July 31st, 2017, 07:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

Don't know where you got that info? My Griffin is a exact fit for my 2000 using stock fans!
http://www.griffinrad.com/load_details5.php?PartID=194&year=00&make=Jeep&mod el=Cherokee XJ&select_Main_Group=2000&select_Sub_Group=Jeep&se lect_Sub_Group_model=Cherokee XJ&select_Sub_Group_Engine=31 X 11.34&select_Sub_Group_Transmission=TOC&key_id=5-70095

Last edited by RCP Phx; July 31st, 2017 at 08:07.
Old July 31st, 2017, 08:17
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Quote:

Thats a big jump from point a to point b. I use the radiator without two ten inch fans.

Its thicker. You aren't going to bolt it in with an HD ZJ fan clutch, as it will be too tight. You won't put an AC condensor in front of it with some 1" thick trans coolers in front of that and bolt the grill on.

But you CAN use it in a stock configuration. Just may have to make concessions to fitment depending on circumstance.
Old July 31st, 2017, 08:21
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Unfortunately, to keep product costs down for everybody, we do. My colleagues and I usually try to work within our means to offset or reduce that cost in one way or another; but that's not always possible. Hopefully you never have to use our warranty, but if you do, you can always reach out to myself or one of my colleagues on the forums and we'll do whatever we can to help.

-Steve

I have to admit that is a problem for me. The warranty is there to cover manufacturer defects that cause the part to not last its anticipated service life.

If I have to pay because a manufacturer had a production flaw, they just aren't standing behind the product at all.

If they are anticipating enough failures that taking care of them would stop them from keeping the cost down.....
Old July 31st, 2017, 08:42
Mostly Harmless

My expectation on warranty issues is that the customer pays the freight to send the defective item back to the manufacturer and the manufacturer pays the freight to ship the repaired or new part back.

That said, if the manufacturer will accept photographic evidence in lieu of me having to ship them a bulky, difficult to package product then I am not going to have quite as much trouble with the idea that I am going to pay for shipping of the replacement.

OTOH, if I am going to have to figure out how to package up and pay for shipping of the bulky, defective product, and then have to pay shipping for the replacement, that is going to leave a bad taste in my mouth, and I might be inclined to share that experience with others.

Can Steve add some illumination on this process for us?
Old July 31st, 2017, 09:45
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
I have to admit that is a problem for me. The warranty is there to cover manufacturer defects that cause the part to not last its anticipated service life.

If I have to pay because a manufacturer had a production flaw, they just aren't standing behind the product at all.

If they are anticipating enough failures that taking care of them would stop them from keeping the cost down.....
This is very well-put. Couldn't agree more.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Next: finish front, build rear bumpers, Dana 44's front and rear.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31's. The wife's mall crawler. She's gotten inchitis over my S10 though...
-97 XJ: Son's DD. Mild mods for the new driver.
Old July 31st, 2017, 12:15
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Don't know where you got that info? My Griffin is a exact fit for my 2000 using stock fans!]
Quote:
Thats a big jump from point a to point b. I use the radiator without two ten inch fans.

Its thicker. You aren't going to bolt it in with an HD ZJ fan clutch, as it will be too tight. You won't put an AC condensor in front of it with some 1" thick trans coolers in front of that and bolt the grill on.

But you CAN use it in a stock configuration. Just may have to make concessions to fitment depending on circumstance.
I got that info from the Griffin Link that Cal provided: http://www.griffinrad.com/load_detai... y_id=8-00168

I see you recommend this link for a replacement: http://www.griffinrad.com/load_detai...d el=Cherokee

I see this one is an exact replacement for the original style. Thanks.
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport - 4.0L/AW4/242 T/C, Dana 30/Dana 44, ARB lockers + compressor with OBA, 4.11 Spicer Gears, Dana 44 modified for ABS and it works, 4 inch OME/DPG Hybrid Lift, 31-10.50 BFG AT on Jeep Ravine wheels, Tom Woods SYE and driveshaft, Adjustable JKS lower control arms. Armor: Rigidco front bumper with tow bar mounts, Driving lights, and Fog lights, Rigid D2 LED Lights, Detours Slimline rear Bumper with tire carrier, JCR stage 3 sliders, transfer case and fuel tank skids

Last edited by bwinter1946; July 31st, 2017 at 12:18.
Old August 1st, 2017, 07:11
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
My expectation on warranty issues is that the customer pays the freight to send the defective item back to the manufacturer and the manufacturer pays the freight to ship the repaired or new part back.

That said, if the manufacturer will accept photographic evidence in lieu of me having to ship them a bulky, difficult to package product then I am not going to have quite as much trouble with the idea that I am going to pay for shipping of the replacement.

OTOH, if I am going to have to figure out how to package up and pay for shipping of the bulky, defective product, and then have to pay shipping for the replacement, that is going to leave a bad taste in my mouth, and I might be inclined to share that experience with others.

Can Steve add some illumination on this process for us?
Cal, to be honest, I don't disagree, which is why I usually work with customer service to offset that cost. We have a double-edged sword with the lifetime warranty. On one hand it provides our customers with confidence that the product will last and if they ever have a problem, they don't have to worry about buying a full replacement. On the other hand, it's virtually impossible to build any product that lasts the entire lifespan of every vehicle. The anticipated service life for our products is forever - even if you move it to another vehicle, as long as you have the radiator, if it ever fails, we cover it. We also cover the radiator in the event of an accident. That being said, I can see how that $30 charge can be jarring, especially when you are already having an issue that requires you to contact us. That's why my colleagues and I usually do everything we can to mitigate that cost.

To answer Anak, we usually don't make our customers send back warranty products. If we do, it's for us to study - we will pay return shipping, send you a shipping label, and just ask that you package up the failed rad in the new radiator's box. Our policy is to ask for photos of issues and that, along with your receipt or order number, is all we need to process a warranty claim. So, you will never pay return shipping on a failed product, and in the (hopefully unlikely) event that you do have to file a warranty claim, we'll work with you in any way we can to mitigate the cost of shipping for the replacement.

I hope that helps and I do appreciate your feedback. Again, my job is to help our customers in any way I can, so please let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Thanks,

-Steve

Forgot to mention: you can read all of the details for our lifetime warranty here: https://www.mishimoto.com/lifetime-warranty/