NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 9th, 2017, 11:57
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 4.6 build starts today!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondejoncherokee View Post
Contact Ryan Hogan too. he did all of my tuning. Great Guy and really dialed in the stroker.
I figured Chris is closer in case I have to take it there. But I am aware of FRP!
Old July 9th, 2017, 12:44
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Is this Chris?
Yes, this is Chris.
Old July 12th, 2017, 12:47
NAXJA Forum User

I got a call from Chris Monday afternoon to go over some fine points, I told him of my current plans. Well I received my new injectors today! They are sold as 27@49 psi. The only marking is XF1E-A5B that translates to (0 280 155 849). They are engraved with "27" which I assume is the tested flow rate @ 49psi. I will try to get them in tonight with results soon after.
I should add that they are going to replace some 0 280 156 077 injectors I bought last fall that are supposed to be 24@49.

Last edited by RCP Phx; July 12th, 2017 at 13:17.
Old July 14th, 2017, 14:08
NAXJA Forum User

I finally got the injectors installed this morning after a bit of a oil leak! I installed a PSC ps pump last Saturday that had a major leaking front seal, had to put the stocker back on. Currently the injectors seem to be what I needed, the trims are +/- 5% now and it eliminated a stumble/dead spot I was getting from a dead stop to WOT. I will spend the rest of the weekend getting some AFR runs logged to see where I'm really at!
Old July 14th, 2017, 16:50
NAXJA Forum User

I'm interested to see how the tuning works out. I currently have a stroker kit order with Russ.
Old July 16th, 2017, 19:31
NAXJA Forum User

Ok, here's what I found out this weekend! Remember I'm using old equipment, a Innova 1303 and a Innovate LM-1. My set-up will only log a max of 44min at a time, so I broke it down a little. I wished I knew of a way to post the time/bar graphs I got(there in LogWorks 3.0), I might try to take pics later!

I decided on 4 criteria........for 4 separate runs each

1- Cold start to full warm-up
2- Neighborhood driving - max 45mph
3- 0-60mph WOT
4- 0-60 Freeway cruising

Basically the numbers show excellent in all the graphs with the most consistent value at 14.5 and with high and lows(within seconds) of 15.1-13.2.
Old July 20th, 2017, 10:02
NAXJA Forum User

I received a e-mail Monday from Chris asking for me to send some of my files to him, which I did. Just received a response stating it didn't look bad but would need more info to truly see what's happening. That's where the question lies.

It would take a major investment to be able to export the current logs, spend time/money on custom files, and be able to import those files to my PCM.

So while I kick around that idea, I'm still trying to find things on my own that might need addressed.

One thing I wasn't impressed with during the build was the Cam position sensor. I found no other method than the "toothpick" trick but question the accuracy of that. What does the CPS do within the PCM and how do I tell if it's truly adjusted to where it needs to be?
Old July 20th, 2017, 10:05
NAXJA Warranty Voider

cam position sensor sets the timing on when the injectors fire. when its out, its a full cam tooth out, and it will either run crappy at the top of the tach or at idle.

if its running smooth, you're dialed in there.
Old July 20th, 2017, 18:16
NAXJA Member

The cam position sensor has a wide margin of error on install.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 12:59
NAXJA Forum User

I know that it is indexed properly with the gears, but the "toothpick" method still allows a "little" room for error as it is not a "positive" engagement. That's why I was questioning how the PCM sees and "syncs" the crank and cam positioner, and since my cam has a built in 3* of advance. How much room for error is there?
Old July 26th, 2017, 09:23
NAXJA Forum User

To go beyond what I can do, I made a appointment(3 weeks out) with one of Phoenix's best shops to put it on the Dyno/computer(CMR based). After that evaluation I can see what else it needs(if anything) to get done! I'm not comfortable investing in everything it would take to get this done with me as a "middle" man. The other choice is to take it over to Chris(still quite a investment).
Old July 26th, 2017, 10:59
Piece of Fish!

For your logs, is there a way for you to export/save/convert to PDF? Otherwise a 'screenshot' and a quick save should let you upload it.
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old July 27th, 2017, 17:27
NAXJA Forum User

All my logs were saved and exportable, but they are only readable thru Innova's Logworks 3.0!

On a bright note, yesterday I managed to score some Rubi rims at a deal(been looking for a couple of years)! I needed new tires so that was done today. It's so smooth now I'm looking forward to the Dyno runs!
Old August 11th, 2017, 11:45
NAXJA Forum User

Well, today was the big day and it came off perfectly! The guys at Lopers said they hadn't seen such a strong motor!

Max rear wheel horsepower = 227hp
Max rear wheel torque = 396 ft/lbs

AFR's were great with just a slight fattening under 50% dyno load and WOT.

I think I'm done now!
Old August 11th, 2017, 12:02
NAXJA Forum User

You're killing me smalls!!! Why did you have to do that? 225 hp/400 ft-lb at mid 9s CR?!?! I need new underwear. Been waiting to see a 0331 based build with dyno numbers and now we know. I think this will start a few conversations...

Question, Chris and Russ, any chance of a "package"? This build sheet, these injectors, this tune, done! Drooling...