NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 13th, 2016, 20:16
NAXJA Member

hjeepxj's build thread

It's been a long time since I have wrenched on an XJ or wheeled an XJ....too long...too long.

My wife and I decided to purchase a very clean '00 Limited with 143k miles. She is going to drive it until next summer when the weather is bad and sometimes just for fun. I will be adding cosmetic/armor/stock type upgrades until summer when I will be upgrading the suspension, axles, steering, and brakes.

The Jeep will be designed to be a very comfortable and capable trail/expedition vehicle. A rig that you wouldn't mind driving across country or daily if you had to.

The basics of the build will be a Full Traction 6" w/LA's, Stinkyfab OTK steering and WJ brake upgrade, 35" MTR Kevlars, D30 front with ARB Super 30 kit, 4.88s, and trussing. D44 rear w/ARB, alloys, 4.88s, and discs. Bumpers f/r, full armor, Conferr roofrack, LED lights on the exterior and interior.

I just hit the go button on the following:

- Smoked corner lenses
- Truck-Lite headlights
- Trailready front bumper (I have to wait 4 weeks for this :/)
- JCR rear Vanguard bumper w/tire carrier, Hi-Lift jack mount, fuel tank mounts
- JCR rear quarter panel guards w/tail lights and lower quarter guards

I will install these as time allows. Up next will be the Stinky FAB Steering kit, Artec inner c gussets and D30 truss. I have a D30 housing with upgraded UCA mounts, LCA mounts, I also have a CRANE diff cover and the Super 30 w/the ARB. I will sandblast the housing, add the trackbar mount, sway bar mounts and trussing then it will be powder coated.

This is the JEEP:

2000 XJ 5.5" Lift w/Deavers and TNT arms, 30 front w/Super 30 kit, ARB, truss, etc. 44 rear w/35 spline alloys, ARB, Wilwood discs, truss, etc. Hooligan stiffeners front to rear, Hooligan fenders, Trailready front bumper, JCR rear bumper w/tire carrier. *under construction*
Old October 17th, 2016, 19:56
NAXJA Member

Re: hjeepxj's build thread

Assembled all of the parts I already had - got a great deal on the two electric fans, the Rusty's intake, and the rear drive shaft pictured.

Does anyone know if I can fit these two fans and a B&M tranny cooler?

I changed my mind on the Truck-Lite's and switched to the High Beam Offroad lights.

I will probably order the Stinkyfab kit soon so I can get to work adding the trackbar mount and sway bar mounts to the D30..

2000 XJ 5.5" Lift w/Deavers and TNT arms, 30 front w/Super 30 kit, ARB, truss, etc. 44 rear w/35 spline alloys, ARB, Wilwood discs, truss, etc. Hooligan stiffeners front to rear, Hooligan fenders, Trailready front bumper, JCR rear bumper w/tire carrier. *under construction*
Old October 21st, 2016, 08:17
NAXJA Member

Just a quick update, hoping to start work soon to get some pics and get this thing on the trail!

Just ordered the 4.88's for the D44, the ABR, and 35 spline alloy shafts. I also ordered an Addco swaybar for the front and a D&C Extreme cage.

I will be doing Hooligan fenders f/r along with their frame plating.

PICS TO COME SOON!!!
Old October 21st, 2016, 08:54
NAXJA Member

Have they changed the cage design at all? I know it's under a new owner, I did some work for him back in the day and had that cage. Like the design but ended up pulling it out because it sat too low in the body. There was maybe an inch between my head and the main hoop, and I'm maybe 5'10''
Old October 23rd, 2016, 17:46
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
Have they changed the cage design at all? I know it's under a new owner, I did some work for him back in the day and had that cage. Like the design but ended up pulling it out because it sat too low in the body. There was maybe an inch between my head and the main hoop, and I'm maybe 5'10''
I have no idea but I will be finding out soon, I am going to be picking it up the week after this one and I will make sure it will work for me. I am 6'1".

I'll report back.

I just took delivery of the JCR bumper yesterday, I need to wait to receive the tire carrier and the front bumper, I ordered them all bare so I can have them powder coated with the same powder coat (OCD alert lol).

Hoping the High Beam Offroad lights get here tomorrow so I can install those! (Monday is my Sunday right now)
Old October 24th, 2016, 15:41
NAXJA Forum User

subscribed
Old October 31st, 2016, 20:00
NAXJA Member

Picking up the D&C cage Wednesday, the guy on the phone said the cage has been updated since then, so hopefully we're good.

Took delivery of the rear 35 spline ARB, the 35 spline D44 axle shafts, and Nitro D30 ujoints.

The JCR Bumper is AWESOME, I'm jonesing to get it installed...I also built a work bench in my garage, we're almost good to take the gloves off!!

ALSO, the stupid multi function switch for the headlights/turnsignals acted up so I ordered one of those along with some rear hatch shocks. I am hoping the High Beam Offroad headlights get here this week, the stock headlights SUCK.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 06:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjeepxj View Post
I am hoping the High Beam Offroad headlights get here this week, the stock headlights SUCK.
You got that right!! I swapped in Cibbie E-Codes on my '01 XJ w/upgraded wiring and it made a fantastic difference. (Did this years ago...) but I've always wanted a set of LED or HID headlights to try out. Just couldn't justify the price since I've already upgraded w/the Cibbies. I'm interested to get your input and reviews on the High Beam Offroad lights when you get them installed.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 16:11
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
You got that right!! I swapped in Cibbie E-Codes on my '01 XJ w/upgraded wiring and it made a fantastic difference. (Did this years ago...) but I've always wanted a set of LED or HID headlights to try out. Just couldn't justify the price since I've already upgraded w/the Cibbies. I'm interested to get your input and reviews on the High Beam Offroad lights when you get them installed.
These were $300 shipped, reasonable...IMO. I could understand not wanting to give up Cibbies though, I've heard great things about them. I will for sure report back on their quality, I think I have been spoiled driving my '16 Silverado with the fancy LED/HID's it has...I'm nervous for when they "burnout" though.

I just picked the cage up - SUPER pumped! I may install that sooner rather than later if I get the itch, I just want to make sure it is going to tie in to the replacement rockers (which will be then tied to the Hooligan frame stiffners)

Old November 3rd, 2016, 05:24
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjeepxj View Post
These were $300 shipped, reasonable...IMO.
If that's for both then it sounds reasonable. I've wanted to set of JW Speaker lights forever but just can't justify the price for my rig.

Looking forward to some reviews on the ones you get.
Old November 7th, 2016, 11:04
NAXJA Member

All front axle components are ordered. Plan is to get in hand then strip axle down and install all new bracketry then have it powder coated, then install ARB, gears, etc.

I went with this setup:

Hub bolts 32.95
Steering/Bracketry 712.58 Stinkyfab kit
Rotors 129.55 Iron Rock Offroad
Calipers 225 Just for Jeeps
Hubs/Ball Joints 204.55 Rock Auto

$~600 cheaper than the full StinkyFab kit...will keep everyone posted on how it goes.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 21:13
NAXJA Member

Couple quick updates - got the High Beam Offroad Predator Series headlights installed...HOLY LORD. These things are worth every penny for sure. WAY brighter than stock.

I received both bumpers, tire carrier, and have all four Hooligan fenders, JCR tails, and a Hooligan 50" curved LED mount and dropped them off at powder coat today, I went with "Dupont Black Wrinkle" as I really like the powder coat JCR uses so I tried to copy it.

I began the rear storage and converted the interior bulbs to LED

Old November 24th, 2016, 08:13
NAXJA Forum User

Looking good and those new headlights look great!! Making me re-think keeping my Cibie E-Codes... perhaps it's time for me to try these out.
Old November 24th, 2016, 08:50
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
Looking good and those new headlights look great!! Making me re-think keeping my Cibie E-Codes... perhaps it's time for me to try these out.
IMO: I would recommend it. I know Cibie's are super nice, but these are amazing. They are on sale for "black friday" at $235 shipped...great deal.

Hoping to get a daylight picture up asap.
Old November 24th, 2016, 10:52
NAXJA Forum User

That $235 each or for a pair? I was about to get another set of trucklites...