NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 7th, 2017, 13:11
NAXJA Member #1145

Re: The Quick Disconnect WTF Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraiwe View Post
OHAI.

...and vol.
Not this again....

Been there, done that. Just wait...

I tried very much the same on my 90 XJ back in 2003 when I first bought it. It WILL fail, and if you're lucky it won't be terribly exciting when it does. Mine failed on the way to work- while not catastrophic, there was a very sudden, severe change in handling when it let go.

Just, no. This is by no means new or terribly clever. Buy a ratchet strap and use it to line up your swaybar after you wheel. Take 2 minutes out of your life to loosen two bolts.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Next: finish front, build rear bumpers, Dana 44's front and rear.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31's. The wife's mall crawler. She's gotten inchitis over my S10 though...
-97 XJ: Son's DD. Mild mods for the new driver.

Last edited by burntkat; August 7th, 2017 at 13:23.
Old August 8th, 2017, 17:38
Sarge <3 Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockclimber View Post
I don't think that the hitch pin will catastrophically fail. but its far from ideal.
Agreed.

Also, this is a far superior setup to some widely available aftermarket quick discos. By no means perfect, but safer than some you can buy.
Originally Posted by mako my day View Post
Johnx is #1
Old August 9th, 2017, 21:21
NAXJA Member #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_idea View Post
My 2001's JKS QDs have about 170,000 mile on them and still are tight. They get lubed every couple thousand miles, along with everything else.
They are not cheap, I don't want anything that is 'cheap'.
It's stout enough to have busted both sway bar mounts off, the results of running 11" travel shocks on the street. Both mounts have been significantly reinforced since.
2001 Sport, 4 " lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, DB, R.E.-UCA, JKS-LCA, ACOS, SYE, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac-D-30-E-Locker both with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco/Sport-Trac front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, Towing baseplate
Old August 10th, 2017, 08:56
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJRockstar View Post
The best swaybar setup I ever ran was Off Road Only's SwayLoc. I had it on my LJ but they have come up with an adapter to fit it to an XJ. They are not cheap by any means, but there isn't anything better as far as ease of use. They have a version you can control from inside the cab, but it requires OBA. The manual one has a lever on the passenger side arm that connects and disconnects. Doesn't matter if you're on level ground or not. I had the earlier version that was only one spring rate. it was either on or off. The new ones have a stiff rate for on road and a really soft rate for off road.
Looks a bit like the Currie Anti-Rock, only a lot more expensive. I just installed the Anti-Rock recently and it's so nice to be able to just articulate on a whim without having to worry about disconnecting anything. It felt a little loose on the road at first until I messed around with the mounting points and link lengths; now it feels just like the factory sway bar. Doesn't seem to inhibit flex much at all.
Old August 10th, 2017, 09:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einulfr View Post
Looks a bit like the Currie Anti-Rock, only a lot more expensive. I just installed the Anti-Rock recently and it's so nice to be able to just articulate on a whim without having to worry about disconnecting anything. It felt a little loose on the road at first until I messed around with the mounting points and link lengths; now it feels just like the factory sway bar. Doesn't seem to inhibit flex much at all.
Yea it's pretty similar to Currie. What sold me on the earlier one was the ability to Disco completely and have travel limited only by the bumps and shocks. Then at the end of the day just flip that lever and be nice and stable on the road home. I can't speak for the two stage one, there must be some benefit but I don't see it. I prefer the all or nothing way the original worked. The disconnect mechanism is pretty brilliant though.