• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ross's other dumb jeep for the street

foxwar71

NAXJA Forum User
Ahh yes, might as well make a build thread for this. I'm sure some of you have followed the build of my black jeep into a full blown trailer queen crawler. Well like 8 or so months ago I decided I felt the need for a run around jeep, been daily driving my Cummins but wanted to take some daily wear and tear off it. First I found an 88 MJ 4.0/ba10/2wd. Turned out to be a rot box!! Thought it needed some small patches but it was junk when I took the bed off.

2churm1.jpg

303fdjo.jpg

So the whole 2WD got me thinking about doing a "race" jeep build. Own XJs long enough and eventually you will think about it too. I scored some JK Moabs and had ideas tossing around. And then it happened, I found a 2dr on a local FB group. I've always loved 2drs, my first vechile was one and I've had a couple. It's a 99 4.0/AW4/8.25 2WD, rust free and very clean.

ambj3d.jpg

23mx1r9.jpg

14tps28.jpg

Then it was go time!! Did a tune up, filters, oil leak, etc maintenance work like anybody would on a new ride. Decided on a plan, lower it with a spring under swap out back plus a posi 8.8 with 3.73's. Scored freebie new stock leafs, added a 3" full AAL and a short AAL too. Up front got a full WJ treatment; all 4 arms, ball joints out knuckle swap, steering/brakes. Scored a freebie JKS trackbar and some small lift HD coils, cut them down to desired height.

4jrqzr.jpg

2vikqp1.jpg

fk2mts.jpg

mt2n43.jpg

2vvt7aq.jpg

Painted the JK wheels black and got some 235/55/17's on them. Got the jeep together and drove it. Picked up exhaust pieces and made a full stainless system with a Magnaflow cat and muffler. After a little while with the vertical shackle, I got some HD no-lift brackets and its a night and day difference.

orrrrt.jpg

2ai08kh.jpg

qqbfh5.jpg

m96938.jpg

fkxg7k.jpg

azjwq1.jpg

2193qrs.jpg

And then I pulled the trigger!! Found a set of 265/40/20's for a smoking deal. With a discount connection, I ordered some replica 20x9 SRT8 wheels.

11sovoy.jpg

33faoec.jpg

I cut another half coil off the front, somewhere around 2.5-2.75" under stock now. Played around with the shackle. First two pics were sweet, but the shackle wasn't swinging right and hitting on bumps. Brought it up a little and it currently sits like the last pic.

z7ss4.jpg

5xuyo3.jpg

hvndio.jpg

Next plans include a new paint job, staying white. Paint the rear bumper/caps/flares, already did all the front stuff when I tinted all the light lenses. Manual swap is also on the list, working on getting parts together still. After I get a 2WD AX15 in, I'll turn my attention to the 200k 4.0. Time will tell what will help bump the power.....

Looks stupid :)

How's it ride / handle?
I want to build a Jeep about the same way, but in the back of my head there's a voice saying "still gonna drive like crap"

So the whole 2WD got me thinking about doing a "race" jeep build. Own XJs long enough and eventually you will think about it too.

This is fact. These builds make me glad I kept my 2wd DD.

Unless I'm blind, I assume the trackbar mount at the axle is in the original position? Is there bump steer with the WJ steering? I assume going down in lift helps that issue.

With the shackle brackets in now, its rides so much better. It's a stiff leaf pack, before it was a vertical shackle and rode like it. The WJ stuff up front is like a go cart in it, its fun and wierd as hell at the same time. Doing highway ramps at speed and its flat in the corners, not a typical jeep lean.

The TB is still stock mounted, it doesn't seem affect too much and the angles are close. It's just barely off the bumpstops, I wanna redo them with a bigger/better pad. Probably do a flatter pitman arm and custom TB at some point.

2gvocaf.jpg

Sitting nice. I have Ironman4x4fab adjustable tube control arms and an Addco front swaybar on my 2wd.

I'm glad I needed up doing the WJ LCAs actually, not sure if the 9" wide wheels would have cleared a straight arm at full lock. I did new bushings F&R on the stock sway bars, just couldn't bring myself to spend money on a fancy one.

A local group is planning a track day this summer at a new road course, definitely gunna plan to be there. I just wanna be the only Jeep mixed in with ricers and other cars

You and I have some veeerrryy similar idea's right now.

I have a 2000 federal emissions 2x4 sitting in the parking lot. WJ parts, 94 Mustang Cobra R wheels, progressive no lift front coils, new rear leafs with sliders are ordered or in the shed.

I need to go talk to Russ about a deal on a motor and get started...

IMG_20160129_140113053_HDR_zpsvcdxghsp.jpg

I've been thinking about doing this as well. I guess I have owned XJ's long enough.

Anyone see complicatioms of doing this to a 4x4. I have dreams of finding a manual and 97+ and turning it into a street machine with a 242 and limited slips front and rear.

Depending on how much you lower it, diff and oil pan clearance could be an issue.

Everything else is the same right?

Trackbar to diff and pinion to exhaust are gunna be issues. The joint on the JKS bar is close to my tube. and no way I could fit my 2.5"exhaust

You and I have some veeerrryy similar idea's right now.

I have a 2000 federal emissions 2x4 sitting in the parking lot. WJ parts, 94 Mustang Cobra R wheels, progressive no lift front coils, new rear leafs with sliders are ordered or in the shed.

I need to go talk to Russ about a deal on a motor and get started...

IMG_20160129_140113053_HDR_zpsvcdxghsp.jpg

I've been thinking about doing this as well. I guess I have owned XJ's long enough.

Join the club, been wanting to do something like this for a while now too, maybe with an Edelbrock headed stroker under the hood! Then again, I also want their Pentastar Supercharger for my Chrysler 200 too:laugh3:

I also had Andy at Ironman4x4 make me a custom straight adjustable trackbar that is parallel to the axle. I got a manual 4x4 96 at Christmas that's gonna get the 242 swap and lsds with 3.55s at both ends.

I saw you reference this jeep last week (maybe in the 2wd wj brake thread) and literally looked for this thread to no avail. Glad you finally made one.

I also had Andy at Ironman4x4 make me a custom straight adjustable trackbar that is parallel to the axle. I got a manual 4x4 96 at Christmas that's gonna get the 242 swap and lsds with 3.55s at both ends.

A straight TB will happen eventually, the JKS was a freebie so hard to argue that. My last 2dr was a 5spd that I swapped a 242 into with 3.55's as well. Dumping clutch and grabbing gears was a blast in full time

Back