• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97-01 Heater rebuild issues

Yes, I know there are "plenty of posts" but I have not found any details on a heater core replacement for a 97-01.
I am typically frustrated with constant HVAC issues on this piece. (Had the blend door mech replaced by the stealership TWICE in the past five years. It was like $450! And they never got it quite right. And now the dealer's gone.)
I have a wiff/smell of coolant inside on start up, and it seems to lose coolant slowly.
And of course the Heat/Defrost/Mix controls are bad now ( so either def or floor, but no mix) and the vacuum probs also seem to be an issue ( there are a few refs to this) but the heater core issue troubles.
Am I going to go out some morn and find my pass floor flooded w/coolant?
Has anyone detailed a complete dash removal/HVAC/heater fix/rebuild?
W/dual air bags, cheap a** plastic parts and the like, this one scares the s*** out of me.
I've got a feeling I'll need an FSM.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

I get a small whiff sometimes too, but it hasn't gotten any worse for a year now. When your windshield starts to steam up is when it is serious. If you do the heater core, I'd consider doing the evaporator too. They are known for going bad. Check your hoses under the hood too in case the smell is coming from small leaks there.

Back