• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Burning Smell at Night. Headlight Switch or Ignition Switch?

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
Now is the time of year when I leave the house in the dark, and return in the dark. So my Headlights are always on.

The past few days, it has been rainy, cold and dark. So I have my "heater" on high, fog lights on, cd player on, wipers on, and headlights on. After about 10 minutes, I smell something burning from under my feet, but I cant pinpoint the location. I was wondering if the headlight switch is going bad, or if the smell is coming from the ignition switch, since it is flaky, i have to play with the key sometimes to get accessories.

Is my headlight switch going bad, or is my ignition switch bad where it is overloading and burning, since i am running ALL of my accessories lately.

Thanks for any help.

Where is the heater control switch? Is it the low/high switch on the HVAC controls? Because it is not hot. I get wiffs of plastic smells thruought the day. I stick my head under the dash and I smell it strongly, but I cant pinpont it.

Back