• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Starter has differnt bolts?

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
I had to do a parking lot starter repair and the new starter(from oreily, I'll get the part number later) uses a different upper mount hole and bolt size. Does anyone know what it should be?

The old starter had the 2 different sizes and the upper bolt was higher up and the new starter lines up to a lower bolt hole on the bell housing but the old bolt is too big.

97 4.0 auto 4x4

All I remember is that the one that screws into the engine is English and the other is metric.

Maybe I will pull the bottom bolt and see if it threads into the top, they looked close but I didn't pay attention. I was in a parking lot and rain was about to hit. Wasn't until I went to thread the upper bolt that I noticed it was a different bolt hole and size.

Ignore my post ha. Once I got it home in the garage I realized I removed a bellhousing to block bolt because I didn't have an upper starter bolt.
My buddy kept insisting the new starter was smaller and had different mounting points too so I assumed I had removed two starter bolts but nope.

Back