• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear-hatch wiring?

Crist Clapper

NAXJA Forum User
Need wiring-diagram to sort-out the tangled-web-of-wires! Help?

XJ%20Hatch%20Wiring_zpsciehg7wn.jpg

What year?

What are you trying to do? Sort out what goes where?

I've found the plugs are usually straight forward. Only fitting the appropriate counter part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The year will help. Also not always will the wiring match plug for plug every time. My 94 had no hatch speakers and my old one did. So I took the wiring from the old and pluged it into the new. All connecters hooked up right but nothing matched color wise and nothing functioned. Turns out the front to rear harnesses was plugged differently. So I had to swap it to. Donor was also a 94.

True. Suppose it depends what's going on.

If they're hunting faults probably best to start at where it comes out of the body and into the hatch.

If it a new harness to the vehicle I don't know where to start . Guess if it's even compatible.

Had a hatch that the previous own ran his own speaker wires and all sorts of other things. The wires from the body and hatches in the rubber boot were cut or broken more accurately.
Previous owner ran wires along the header and exposed to the hatch.
I re connected at the body all the wiring the way it should be then took it apart to reconnect everything. The only thing I didn't use the factory wiring forces the speakers because it was too much to undo all of it back to the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To answer a few questions... The wiring-harness was removed for the Jeep to be re-painted. I just snaked the harness up through the hatch - Left group of wires.

The most obvious issue I see is that there are more wires/connectors from the chassis harness then are in the hatch.

Some connections are obvious... But there are far-more wire from the chassis then are available in the hatch.

To answer a few questions... The wiring-harness was removed for the Jeep to be re-painted. I just snaked the harness up through the hatch - Left group of wires.

The most obvious issue I see is that there are more wires/connectors from the chassis harness then are in the hatch.

Some connections are obvious... But there are far-more wire from the chassis then are available in the hatch.

Gotcha. Same vehicle just reinstallation.
Which year? I'll see if anything pops up for diagrams

The year will help. Also not always will the wiring match plug for plug every time. My 94 had no hatch speakers and my old one did. So I took the wiring from the old and pluged it into the new. All connecters hooked up right but nothing matched color wise and nothing functioned. Turns out the front to rear harnesses was plugged differently. So I had to swap it to. Donor was also a 94.

1987 Wagoneer-XJ-Limited.

Need wiring-diagram to sort-out the tangled-web-of-wires! Help?

XJ%20Hatch%20Wiring_zpsciehg7wn.jpg

Zoomed in on the picture if it's reinstallation I think See where it goes
Think grey plugs go together . Lone wire with only one connector looks like it stretches all he way over to near where harness comes in. Cluster of looks like four wires black plug should plug in similar plug.

Oh a sweet old ride! I do have a wiring diagram on my laptop either 88-89 but should help out . Be a few hours before I get home.

No rush... Thanks!

Learning lesson for next time you do anything like that, buy some white electrical tape and write with sharpie letters on each side. That way it's much, much easier and takes about 30 seconds to reassemble! :)

Learning lesson for next time you do anything like that, buy some white electrical tape and write with sharpie letters on each side. That way it's much, much easier and takes about 30 seconds to reassemble! :)

Would-of if I Could-of. The paint-shop folks did the de-installation. Not a detail I thought of prior. :laugh3:

I doubt a wiring diagram will be much use in this case. Start by matching any obvious connectors that match each other (male to female) that can go only one place. Ignore wire colors. One should go to the defroster. Then dig out the missing parts, speakers, windshield wiper motor assy, possible electrical tail gate lock (?-mine is manual), and look for matching connectors. Any left behind may not go anywhere.

Looks to me like way too many wire connectors for the Wagoneer XJ tail gate unless they routed tail light, turn and brake and running light wires through the tail gate from the drivers side to passenger side????

Thanks for the help... One last mystery connection(s)

I have most of the connections completed, tested, and working... Except these:

IMG_6966_zpspx7l3t6e.jpg

Help?

Last edited:
IIRC, those are for the license plate lamp if you have the rear tire carrier-- that requires the plate to be moved toward the driver side of the tail gate.

They should match the ones used for the regular tail lamp assembly, but be farther toward the left side of the tail gate.

Update: Rear-hatch wiring

It appears all the wires from the wiring-harness are now connected.

Everything works... Although I can't test the latch lock/un-lock as the overhead receiver is disconnected. Observation is that the wires from the latch are a smaller gauge than the three wires shown.

These three wires/connectors come from the hatch-harness and return into the hatch harness. As you can see there are not the typical connector type. They are the same in appearance to the defogger connectors... But a tad smaller in diameter.

Help any?

Back