• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Power Distribution Block fuse for Daytime Running Lights ?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm trying to track down a fuse to tap into so that I can wire up my Daytime Running Lights on my new LED's and would prefer to use the PDC in the engine bay vs running a wire f/the main fuse panel inside my vehicle.

I'd prefer to only have it hot w/the Key On and Running... not hot when the key is off.

I've found this fuse suits that criteria but I can't seem to find specifically what it's tied too on my '01 XJ. Any ideas?? It's the 15amp fuse that's outlined in Red. I THINK it's the Fuel Pump Relay but not for sure.

OR, if anyone has a better idea I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Yeah, wire to that empty slot right beside it and put in the fuse you need for DRL.
Unless you already have an external fuse box used for your other accessories. Then just add a fuse to that one, but I assume you don't if you're asking this question. If you plan on any other upgrades, it may be a good idea to start an accessory external fuse box anyway.

Have you tried the lights yet? For 16yrs my 2000 never had DRL's until a few months ago when I installed LED's, now I have DRL's(still haven't figured that one out)!

Yeah, wire to that empty slot right beside it and put in the fuse you need for DRL.
Unless you already have an external fuse box used for your other accessories. Then just add a fuse to that one, but I assume you don't if you're asking this question. If you plan on any other upgrades, it may be a good idea to start an accessory external fuse box anyway.

I was going to use a Fuse Tap to supply the power to my DRLs. They will have virtually no amperage draw so I shouldn't have any issues w/overheating the existing supply wire. I'm not sure the empty fuse socket to the left of the one I highlighted is wired already. I'm trying to do this as simply and safely as possible.

I shouldn't need any additional distribution of electricity so no need for me to add a new PDC or fuse block...

The LED's I'm using are a knock-off of the JW Speaker type and they have a single connector for the DRL... and then the normal H4 type plug to utilize the headlights. I'm trying to figure out which fuse to tap to run a wire to the DRL single wire connection. Hopefully that makes sense.

I suggested the empty spot because it doesn't look wired to anything yet and is the safest solution. If you really don't care where it goes, then find any constant 12v source when the key is on and splice it in. It's only marginally harder to run that wire to the empty fuse space and drop a fuse in there but it's cleaner and safer.

Just splice into any available ignition switch controlled switched 12 volt circuit. Often empty fuse locations have no fuse contacts or wiring installed. Use a relay or some diodes.

Have you tried the lights yet? For 16yrs my 2000 never had DRL's until a few months ago when I installed LED's, now I have DRL's(still haven't figured that one out)!

LED's light will grab any stray voltage and make light. Some relays will probably fix it, some 12 volt diodes will fix it.

LED's light will grab any stray voltage and make light. Some relays will probably fix it, some 12 volt diodes will fix it.

Why would I want to fix it? Just strange with a light that only has grd/Lo/High!!

Back