• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix AW4 shifting issues after warm up

Tin Man

NAXJA Forum User
New Napa TPS adjusted to spec
Ground wires cleaned upgraded
Fluid and filter new
Throttle cable adjusted

Runs perfect at first start up or close to it, no shifting issues. No idle issues. Then after it gets some heat into it (5 min or so) and if I keep driving its fine, but if I turn it off and restart then it will stay in first until 4500 rpm and the pressure has built up to shift manually on its own. I haven't pulled the tcm fuse yet because it didn't seem related to heat ,I didn't think it could be the issue. Anyone familiar with this heat issue? Thanks!

New TPS you say? I would voltage test the TCU-AW4 square side of the TPS signal from idle to WOT and see if the rear side (AW4 square side of the wiring) of the TPS is defective. I posted test data for a bad and a good one in my old RenX files thread here about 10 years ago. But test yours when cold, and then again when hot, engine off/ignition in run, both times to see if it is changing when hot.

Also check that sides ground to the battery negative post (hot and cold too). It may be going bad.

Why did you replace the TPS????

One option is an AW4 solenoid failing but so far the symptoms are not definitive since it only fails when you turn it off and then back on while hot unless an AW4 solenoid can fail during heat soak??

I'd look for a TPS or AW4 wiring harness connector issue first.

If all fails, try some Trans-x in the AW4 fluid, about 1/2 pint at first. And as Cri=uiser asked, what fluid did you use?

Update:
I am running Dex/Merc oil
Adjusted the TV
The TPS is 4.67 and 3.84 almost exactly 83%
I will double check the refresh on trans connectors but I believe I did them as well as all others I could get at.
Yesterday I pulled the TCM fuse and ran manually, no issues at all that way.
Ran it again this morning with TCM working. Started up fine after TV adjustment , ran around town for 15 min. No issues at all, ran great, shifted great. Got back to the shop turned it off for a few minutes, hoped back in and it was stuck in first again until 4500 rpm then stuck again until 4500 rpm and shifted to third.
I will test the TPS plug like you suggested Mike hopefully tomorrow. I have rebuilt the entire jeep for the past two years , got it for free because it wouldn't shift, hence why I replaced the TPS when I got it a few years ago, as well as many other sensors, all from Napa. Oh and all battery grounds are upgraded, the only two I haven't made are the motor to firewall and battery to body, however I did sand the body on the firewall ground side for better contact.

Let me know on the TPS tests. Also check the Dex/Merc you used. It must say Dex III and no higher. Reports are that Dex IV and higher create problems.

This sounds like typical TPS problem. Next time it wont shift, reach over and unplug the TCM fuse and see if it doesnt go into OD if thats the gear you have selected.

Back