• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto to manual Swap

You'll pretty much want a parts vehicle to get the parts you'll need for the swap. Need to fabricate/ect.

If your asking about this.......I doubt you'd be able to do it, just go buy an XJ with a manual transmission......not like XJ's cost that much.

you could just put the motor from the 95 into the 91. it will be easier than swapping the trans. Unless you just want a 5 speed. It can be done, but you do have to swap everything, including the pedal assembly.

GroveCDN: I hope you never have to ask for help, because obviously if you ask if a mod has been done or for any tips, by your logic you must be incapable of doing it and should just go buy a bought rig...

Last edited:
After thinking about it I think wolfpack is right. I think swapping the motor woul be a better idea as well. Of course it would be into an older rig which we have NO idea of the condition of either. Maybe some more info about the Jeeps would help us help him.

nevermind I decided to fix and keep both the 91 as a trail rig and the other as a dd. I found a 94 xj that has been rolled for parts. bodies trashed but it still runs and lot drives.

I have looked into swapping my 97 aw4 to an AX15, and it really isn't bad at all. If you have a donor vehicle, even better. Everything is essentially bolt in. You have to drill 3 holes for the clutch master cylinder on the firewall - which the factory has kindly marked with a centerpunch. You will also have to shorten your input shaft on the trans about an inch. That's about the "hardest" part, it's extremely straightforward.

Back