• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibration at 1000 rpm solved!!

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
I had an annoying vibration right at 1000 rpm for months. I'd looked for it, had my favorite mechanic look at it, had friends help me try to hunt it down. Today when I pulled the front wheels to do the brakes I was working on the driver's side and noticed that the front drive shaft had a grease zirk I hadn't shot grease into. So I go grab the grease gun and while I'm reaching in I notice a vacuum line from the front diff that is covered with a hefty sleve, and the sleeve was beat to hell in about a 2" section. I traced it to the top to a little plastic valve by the fire wall, and pulled the hose up and zip-tied it to a thingie on the fire wall. The vibration is gone!!

How worried should I be about the hose? What does it do?

plastic valve by firewall................hose............coming off the diff. that's the perfect description of a differential breather tube. it's nothing more than a vent for the differential, and to help keep fluid out of the differential. if it is in fact damaged, you might want to check your differential fluid to make sure it's not contaminated.

i could see it causing a rattle, but not a vibration.

make sure the hose isn't damage in any way. if it is, replace it with another rubber hose of equal size/length.

as for your vibration, it was probably something that you covered while working on your brakes.

scorpio_vette said:
plastic valve by firewall................hose............coming off the diff. that's the perfect description of a differential breather tube. it's nothing more than a vent for the differential, and to help keep fluid out of the differential. if it is in fact damaged, you might want to check your differential fluid to make sure it's not contaminated.

i could see it causing a rattle, but not a vibration.

make sure the hose isn't damage in any way. if it is, replace it with another rubber hose of equal size/length.

as for your vibration, it was probably something that you covered while working on your brakes.

Okay, so it wasn't a vibration. More of a loud, "WIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLL-YAANNNNNNGG-ZIIIPP-BAAAANGGGG-NIII-WOM!!" at 1000 rpm that was caused by the front drive shaft rippin' into the hose shielding. Thanks for helping me clear this up.

8^)

Fish'nCarz said:
Okay, so it wasn't a vibration. More of a loud, "WIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLL-YAANNNNNNGG-ZIIIPP-BAAAANGGGG-NIII-WOM!!" at 1000 rpm that was caused by the front drive shaft rippin' into the hose shielding. Thanks for helping me clear this up.

8^)

you sure that's what it sounded like??? LOL cuz i've never heard that kinda sound before........now if it would have went ZZIIPPP--ZOOOOMMMWWWOOOOSHHHH at the end, then that might be more accurate. LOL

scorpio_vette said:
you sure that's what it sounded like??? LOL cuz i've never heard that kinda sound before........now if it would have went ZZIIPPP--ZOOOOMMMWWWOOOOSHHHH at the end, then that might be more accurate. LOL

Once again, you have me. I just added the last part as a tribute to Monty Python.

Now I have to go out and see if the repair I made will work at full droop of if I need to reroute the hose.

Back