• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is the '96 & up 4.0l the same as my '95?

Venomfab

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be swapping the motor from my '95 cherokee for a wrecking motor, and have found a pretty good deal on a '98 4.0l from a cherokee. Would this be a direct swap, or is this something that will take a lot of work, if its possible at all? I know that '95 and older is OBDI, and anything after is OBDII.

Thanks for any help.

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange. 1987-1995 YJ Wrangler blocks will also interchange with XJ and ZJ.

Remove and re-use as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, engine sensors, fan belt driven accessories and mounting brackets.

I want to replace the entire long block. Head too. I've read something about having to drill and tap the head on the newer 4.0's for the earlier temp sending units.
Ever hear anything about that?

98 and up head has no hole tapped for the temp gauge sending unit.
Some have drilled &tapped for the sending unit. Others have moved the temp sensor to the T-stat housing,,,a drill& tap proposition also.

I want to replace the entire long block. Head too. I've read something about having to drill and tap the head on the newer 4.0's for the earlier temp sending units.
Ever hear anything about that?

im no expert but the reason why they drill and tap is because the 97+ sending unit on the thermostat area is bi-something something lol it tells the gauge and computer the temp, eliminating the second temp sensor. but since yours is older, you would need to drill and tap to place the second sensor for the older system

98 and up head has no hole tapped for the temp gauge sending unit.
Some have drilled &tapped for the sending unit. Others have moved the temp sensor to the T-stat housing,,,a drill& tap proposition also.

i think mid 97' does too because mine is a 97' and it has the coolant sensor at the thermostat and its the only sender and when i went to replace mine i had to order a 98' sender though.

Back