• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing stock class KOH XJ build

Why are d30 inner Cs prefered on a d44?

They're not usually. We're using WJ knuckles and a Warn 5 on 5.5" hub conversion. The Warn hub kit uses 30 spline chromo stub axles, and is the only way currently to get 30 spline stubs, which are bigger and stronger than 19 spline D44 stub axles. Also, the Warn kit spindle and hub are much stronger than D44 spindles and hubs. So, we're using the D30 inner C's, but Synergy WJ/JK ball joints, WJ knuckles, massive Black Magic brakes, and the Warn hub kit components. This is about as good as you could make a D44 outer setup.

I had a lot of really nice pictures to show of this weekends work.. but I managed to lose my cell phone today (and the pics with it).

Damn.

I had a lot of really nice pictures to show of this weekends work.. but I managed to lose my cell phone today (and the pics with it).

Damn.

Dork. Is it home in Fullerton?

If you lost your cell phone, how did you post this? :rolleyes:

My backup cell phone. For those rare moments when Sprint gets signal and Verizon doesnt (you know, like when you drop your verizon phone on the freeway.).

Dork. Is it home in Fullerton?

The chassis is at a friends shop about a block from my house.

Everything else is piled up in my living room. My cat has taken to sleeping in Richards seat.

My backup cell phone. For those rare moments when Sprint gets signal and Verizon doesnt (you know, like when you drop your verizon phone on the freeway.).

Has anybody ever told you that you're a dumbass?

The chassis is at a friends shop about a block from my house.

Everything else is piled up in my living room. My cat has taken to sleeping in Richards seat.

Don't let him use it as a litter box.

Pics coming.

Things we did this past weekend include finishing the rear quarter panel body armor. Below the break in the body line it's 1/8", above the break it's 16 gauge (.060). While it looks like we added a lot of steel, it's not very much weight. The lower 1/8" panels are welded in, and the upper panels are riveted and welded at the bottom to the other panels. The rear is welded to the side of the bumper, and it sticks out slightly past the tail lights for light protection (since we have to run the stock tail lights). We made a triangular piece that sits above the lights and gussets the panel on the top, and the bottom is tied into the bumper. It should do a decent job of holding up......we'll find out soon enough.

The new front D44 is in with all the mounts and brackets. It still needs shock mounts, and the gears and locker installed. The knuckles are custom modified to accept a much bigger caliper and Black Magic pads, we're going to have VERY good brakes.

The dash panel is made and in. The firewall behind the seats is in. The fuel tank hold downs are made and on. The panel for the fuel fill is made and on. The rock rails are back on, but need to be secured. Winch plate and fairlead mount are made, need to be welded on. Front upper shock mounts and reservoir mounts are on.

Still a couple months worth of work to do.......and we have less than a month. :)

I'm very interested in seeing the modified knuckle for the larger calipers. I'm not sure why as I don't plan on making this modification. I just want to see how you guys did it.

I'm very interested in seeing the modified knuckle for the larger calipers. I'm not sure why as I don't plan on making this modification. I just want to see how you guys did it.

Interestingly they are WJ knuckles, modified to take WJ calipers and WJ rotors. .. The warn 5x5.5 hub kit complicates that setup, and we had been running CJ parts on the WJ knuckle.

After we get the axle geared, when it is time to do final assembly, I'll take a ton of pictures and talk about the work Blaine @ Black Magic Brakes did for us.

They're not usually. We're using WJ knuckles and a Warn 5 on 5.5" hub conversion. The Warn hub kit uses 30 spline chromo stub axles, and is the only way currently to get 30 spline stubs, which are bigger and stronger than 19 spline D44 stub axles. Also, the Warn kit spindle and hub are much stronger than D44 spindles and hubs. So, we're using the D30 inner C's, but Synergy WJ/JK ball joints, WJ knuckles, massive Black Magic brakes, and the Warn hub kit components. This is about as good as you could make a D44 outer setup.

I was aware 44s are 19 spline but wasn't aware there are no upgrades for the outers?

I was aware 44s are 19 spline but wasn't aware there are no upgrades for the outers?

There are some upgrades available, but they are not nearly the strength of the Warn kit. Not to mention we already had the warn stuff, and the WJ brakes are way nicer than dana 44 brakes..

Back