• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Cherokee causes train derailment

Alaskaflyr

NAXJA Forum User
a guy in a green Jeep Cherokee drove his Jeep onto the train tracks in Los Angeles with the intentions of committing suicide. He changed his mind at the last minute and jumped out of the Cherokee leaving it on the tracks causing a commuter train to derail hitting another train derailing it also. So far 9 dead and 200 injured.

The nuts are out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope his death sentance involves being tied to the rails of slow moving freight line......sad outcome for the innocent commuters.

Are you sure about that ?? ... I saw this on the news before leaving for work and they didn't know the reason for the derailment. A commuter was interviwed and said the train went from 50 to 0 in 2 sec.... must have been one of those heavier Cherokees they hit.

It looked like and was reported that two Metro trains sideswiped each other... but I guess it could have all started with a Jeep.

Damn trains. Being some place they shouldn't be. :mad:
You'd think that those trains had the right of way or something. :dunno:

Automobiles on the tracks/running gates are one of my very few pet peeves. :lecture:

Here's a link to a news story.

Hey you're right ... the news is now reporting a vehicle was left on the track.... if I recall correctly, the same thing happened in the City of Industry a few years ago ... a guy in a Jeep wanted to commit suicide and jumped out at the last minute. I wonder if it was the same guy doing it again.

Fox News Report

Alaskaflyr said:
a guy in a green Jeep Cherokee drove his Jeep onto the train tracks in Los Angeles with the intentions of committing suicide.

He's going to wish he had after the NTSB has their way with him.

must have had a cage with a lot of triangulation

red91inWA said:
He's going to wish he had after the NTSB has their way with him.
The line is already starting. I heard on the news a couple of hours ago that the sheriff is on the war path. 10 dead, and one of them was a county deputy.

I will bet that whatever lawyer represents this sob will try to plead not guilty by reason of mental defect, or try to get him classified as incompetent to stand trial.....He shoulda stayed in the Jeep...

TRNDRVR said:
Damn trains. Being some place they shouldn't be. :mad:

Automobiles on the tracks/running gates are one of my very few pet peeves. :lecture:
I read part of a story a few days back that a friggin illegal immigrant who tried the same trick in Castle Rock, CO will be charged for damages to the train, track and nearby equipment...I fully expect him to disappear before BNSF gets a dime out of him.
http://www.utu.org/worksite/detail_news.cfm?ArticleID=18949

bchulett said:
Dan, what does it feel like when a train hits a vehicle ? ... can you actually feel the impact ?
I’ve only had the misfortunate opportunity of hitting a car just once. When you hit things in a train, the way you feel it depends on the angle of the impact and how fast you're going.
I’ve hit a cow at 80 mph dead on, did about $6,000 worth of damage to the front of the locomotive, and felt just a bump. Definitely heard it though. That cow popped like a water balloon. Oh yeah, cows do fly!!!
Hit a car with a freight locomotive at 17 mph, at an angle, shook the crap out the locomotive, and didn’t do a bit of damage. Definitely heard that one too. Wadded that car up like a ball of paper.

Fortunately that’s all I can tell you. I can say that I’m an accomplished hunter!!! Bunny’s, owls, coyotes, foxes, deer, elk, antelope, the list goes on……..

I haven't read all the news about this accident, but the way that train derailed after hitting a car, the engineer was probably running from a cab-car. Meaning he was running from a control stand in the rear car, and the locomotive was actually pushing the train. Cab cars are light..

TRNDRVR said:
In sailing, it's called the "tonnage" rule.

It was a pusher.

12 dead, and counting.

--ron

I was amazed at how an XJ could bring that train down.

But when you see the news reports it becomes more clear, the guy parked the jeep across the tracks AWAY from the road way; he was not on the crossing. This being said, the coefficent of friction between the XJ tires and the rocks and cross ties made a huge difference.

I'm going to hypothesize that if the XJ was parked on the crossing, on the road, the jeep would have been 'knocked' out of the way. Still may have been a derailment, but it may have been less severe.

Not that it matters, the damage is done and people died thanks to an idiot either way, but was it a Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee. TRNDRVR's link says Grand Cherokee, FoxNews says Cherokee. Is this a case of people confusing them for each other? Rancho onfuses them even...

Dang. The articles I saw said "SUV" but I didn't know it was a Cherokee.

Doesn't matter what brand of SUV it was, the guy is a total whack job and needs to be severely punished.

Back