• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering question

jpk

NAXJA Forum User
How loose generally is the XJ's steering? In other words, sometimes my steering wheel is centered and the vehicle tracks straight using very little correction but at others, if the road has a slope towards the outside lane, to maintain a straight track, the steering wheel is turned to the left slightly off center. Is this ok or might my steering box need a rebuild? There are no leaks on it. It just seems like there's some play. Is this normal?

I have about 1/8 a turn of the wheel in slop and I don't see it as excessive. It's usuly fine unless it presents a saggy issue like my moms zj. 1/4-1/2 turn of slop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the alignment all within specifications, and the suspension and steering parts are in good condition ? Depending on the tires installed, the condition of the suspension components, and the condition of the steering components, some following of the road crown can occur. However, neither of my lifted XJ's have much tendency to follow the road crown.

I would say if you were having steering box issues that you have to saw the steering wheel back and forth to stay traveling straight on a level road and you would have a pretty good sized dead spot in the middle.

Just a comment. If you have that much play have you checked steering box bolts, rame integrity, trac bar bushing or rod end, tie rod wear. I have 3 XJ's from 2 wheel drive to full axle swapped rock crawler and I can honestly say I never felt that play unless my trac bar bushing was bad or the trac bar mount came loose!

Back