• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On/off key trick for codes

sls97xj

NAXJA Forum User
Should the on/off key trick work on my 97 XJ ? It works on my 04 TJ, but no joy on the XJ. Just wondering, as I bought the Jeep a couple of months ago and drove it a few weeks before noticing that it has no check engine light. Either burned out or pulled by a previous owner. Would like to see if it has any stored codes.

Key trick doesnt work on xj at least on my 98 it wont had a 97 tj it would run the code with the key

The key-clicky engine code trick will work on some of the earlier '97s. I never could find a definitive cut off date though.

Give it a try...the worse you'll get is to watch your dash dials go through a self diagnostic test....

If you have android phone pick up one of the BT OBD readers on amazon and download 'torque' app

OBDII systems require a code reader to retrieve the codes.
Your 1997 is OBDII.
Code readers are cheap. When you own a Cherokee, it's almost a prerequisite tool.
Many auto parts stores will read the code for you.

Back