• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help w/ wiring relays on 4 HELLA 500's. help plz

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
okay, well i wired up my hella 500s to my stock bumper on my 01 XJ today. i took the bumper off and put the 4 hella 500's on. it came out pretty clean and only ran in to one problem.... when i connected power to the battery 2 lights came on with the switches off !, then i turned both the switches on and those shut off and turn the opposite ones on.. so im confused because normally im pretty good with wiring and electronics. but anyway heres how i wired them

4 hella 500s at the bumper. all 4 are grounded to the bracket that bolts the bumper to the frame and are good grounds. then the 4 other wires from the 4 lights go to 2 relays mounted next to each other on the fire wall. 2 wires from 2 lights go to pin 87 and 87a, and the other 2 from the remaining lights go to pin 87 and 87a on relay number 2. then pin 30 on both relays are connected to 12volt at the battery with a 20 amp fuse in each wire. both pin 86 on the relays have a seperate ground. and pin 85 on each relay has a seperate wire leading to 2 switches on the dash. the other wire coming out of each switch is tapped into 12v constant from the OBD2 connection.

my question is what did i mess up. i just want 2 lights on 1 switch. so that i can turn all 4 on with 2 switches. any advice ?

thanks

generalleexj said:
okay, well i wired up my hella 500s to my stock bumper on my 01 XJ today. i took the bumper off and put the 4 hella 500's on. it came out pretty clean and only ran in to one problem.... when i connected power to the battery 2 lights came on with the switches off !, then i turned both the switches on and those shut off and turn the opposite ones on.. so im confused because normally im pretty good with wiring and electronics. but anyway heres how i wired them

4 hella 500s at the bumper. all 4 are grounded to the bracket that bolts the bumper to the frame and are good grounds. then the 4 other wires from the 4 lights go to 2 relays mounted next to each other on the fire wall. 2 wires from 2 lights go to pin 87 and 87a, and the other 2 from the remaining lights go to pin 87 and 87a on relay number 2. then pin 30 on both relays are connected to 12volt at the battery with a 20 amp fuse in each wire. both pin 86 on the relays have a seperate ground. and pin 85 on each relay has a seperate wire leading to 2 switches on the dash. the other wire coming out of each switch is tapped into 12v constant from the OBD2 connection.

my question is what did i mess up. i just want 2 lights on 1 switch. so that i can turn all 4 on with 2 switches. any advice ?

thanks

Easy enough - on the DIN relay (what you're dealing with,) pin 87 is "normally open" (follows the switch) and pin 87A is "normally closed" (reverses the switch.) Assuming you've wired the relay correctly:

Switch ON, pin 87 ON, pin 87A OFF
Switch OFF, pin 87 OFF, pin 87A ON.

Use pin 87 for the source on each pair of lights, and you'll get the operation you want.

Alternatively, you can see if you can locate a DIN DPST relay, which will have a pair of 87 terminals - Switch ON, pin 87 ON (both of them.) I've used these for my headlamps.

foglite.jpg

http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/how_to.htm

If you have a lighted switch with 3 prongs then reverse the (+) and (-) wires. and leave the middle one alone. I've pulled that stunt once or twice.:)

Back