• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Picked up a D44.

EazyXJWJ

NAXJA Forum User
Out of a XJ. It has 3.07 gears. I WANT to re-gear it, but dont have $ money $ right now. Is it possible to throw in some stock gears to match my front 3.55

IF SO, DOES ANY 1 HAVE SOME LAYING AROUND???

Why not just sit on it till you can afford to regear? Unless you can do the install yourself, you'll just be paying someone to do the install again, when you get the gears you want.........just a thought :dunno: ----------Hans

Why not just sit on it till you can afford to regear? Unless you can do the install yourself, you'll just be paying someone to do the install again, when you get the gears you want.........just a thought :dunno: ----------Hans

I dont own a house or have storage space. It's sitting INSIDE my WJ as we speak (type). :(

thats cool you found a 44, I finally got one, and got a smoking deal on it. I'd say a cherokee dana 44, with posi in it for 100 bucks wasn;t too bad of a deal...:cheers:

so, its starting to look like picking up an axle w/ matching gear ratio's would be the best idea... flip the d44 --most don't care about the gearing, as they will re-gear anyway-- and pickup a 29spl 8.25, bolt it in, and be done.

If it's geared wrong, it's geared wrong. You still need to do a gear setup, which requires at a minimum shims/seals. I personnally wouldn't re-use the stock bearings either. If you regear it to match your front, you'll regear both later. Someone may have a stock 3.54 laying around but you're going to pay to have it geared twice unless you do it yourself, and being a 44, it can and will be a bear to get the carrier out without a case spreader. Let alone install and remove it 4 or 5 times to check pinion depth, backlash and get a good pattern and preload on the pinion.

Back