• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New User (1986 XJ Vacuum Disconnect eliminator)

Tweakz

NAXJA Forum User
Hey NAXJA community! I am new to this forum and a friend recommended me here. I just purchased a 1986 Cherokee Pioneer 5 speed v6. The 4x4 currently doesn't work and the precious owner says the vacuum disconnect is bad. I'm new to 4x4 and have been finding research here and there and what I've found is that the vacuum can be faulty and untrustworthy. I was wondering what I should look into to replace it and where I should search to purchase a replacement. Thank you for all the help!

Is it lifted?
If yes, is the front driveshaft good, balanced and at the right angle to keep you from getting vibes?
If yes to both these questions, look at shimming the shift fork over for now until you decide how much you want to put into this new hobby.

If no and you have about $150 to throw at it, look into the PosiLock cable. If not at least over 4.5" lifted, get the standard length cable. I'm at 4.5 and that cable is obscenely too long and gets in the way. That way, you can engage the front axle at will.

There are other, more permanent and better solutions out there if you catch the bug and want to wheel it hard, but this is a good start and won't get you into any real trouble.

At a minimum, I would shim the fork over and make sure you get 4wd and there isn't another issue prevent it too. You likely have a vacuum leak somewhere that you'll want to fix anyway, but at least this will prove your 4wd works.

Thank you so much! It is not lifted but has big tires causing rub on the fenders. I am going to do a 3" lift in the future but that's a whole other topic. Doing the Posi lock will eliminate the vacuum correct? So I can pull all those hoses and plug the ends? Also dumb question does that cable attach to my 4x4 shifter or is it a separate cable all together? Thank you

Separate cable all together. Search for that cable by name and it will show you everything involved in installing it. And yes, you pull the lines and plug them or go one better and completely eliminate the t and just join the rest of the stuff together by your blower motor.

I've also read that I can pull an E clip slide it over and put the E clip back on to engage the front axle. Will that put me in permanent 4x4? So much to learn

Does anyone know where I can order the single axle set up with the seal plate and metal o ring that goes inside the transfer case?

Ignore that last comment.

This is I'm sure a ridiculous question but I'm going to slide the fork over today and lock in the front axle. Until I upgrade to a single axle set up. Is this going to give me permanent 4x4 all the time? Do I still use the 4x4 shifter in the cab? Is there anything I should be worried about other than possibly needing a front axle adjustment if it wobbles too much?

Ignore that last comment.

This is I'm sure a ridiculous question but I'm going to slide the fork over today and lock in the front axle. Until I upgrade to a single axle set up. Is this going to give me permanent 4x4 all the time? Do I still use the 4x4 shifter in the cab? Is there anything I should be worried about other than possibly needing a front axle adjustment if it wobbles too much?

No it will not. The 4wd is controlled by the transfer case which is the shiftier in the cab. The vacuum disconnect was a way to let the front roll with less resistance and improve fuel mileage. I did the e clip fork modification on my 84 years ago and never had an issue. In 2wd there is no power going to the front so all it does is as you roll down the road spin the front ds and axles and gears.

Back