• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Artec D30 XJ Truss

markw

web wheeler
NAXJA Member
I've been fighting upper control arm bushings walking for years now. And with moving parts over to a new jeep, I figured I'd truss the axle or fix the rubber bushing problem once and for all.

I was debating on which way to go, and leaning towards TNT, but then you start adding mounts for everything and the cost of the truss starts going up. Then I went and looked at the currie johnny joint setup. This would fix the bushing problem and wouldn't cost a fortune. Finding it online for 150-180. I started asking about it on the socalxj list. This is where the the cool kids hang out. :) I almost bought it when one of the guys said check out Artec, they're releasing a truss for the D30, and that they had some trusses at the King of the Hammers. So I went there and checked it out. It's NICE, and it's priced in my budget. I ordered one from the website and upgraded it to johnny joints. I also used the secret pirate4x4 code to get a discount. Truss was right at $200 shipped to my doorstep. It arrived a couple days after ordering it.

Unpacking revealed a very nice laser cut truss that was all keyed to drop right onto the top of the axle. This is when I noticed I was missing the passenger UCA bracket from the kit. A call to Artec and they shipped the missing bracket out. Now we're set.

Install was almost a breeze. I cut off the stock mount and ground it flush with the tube. While we were at it, we removed the steering stabilizer mount as the jeep hasn't had one of those in ages.

The truss it self keys off the diff housing and the spring perch. Basically set it on the axle and rotate it into place.

DSC04679.JPG

Once that was done, we tacked the internal braces, then pulled off the top plate and front and rear plates then welded the internal braces to the tube.

DSC04681.JPG

Next we installed the front/rear plates, and did the internal vertical welds since you can't get to those once the top plate is on.

DSC04682.JPG

Once the internal welds were done, we installed the top plate and welded that, we also welded the front/rear plates to the tube, and did external welds on the vertical pieces. We took care to move around on the tube so we don't end up with a happy axle.

DSC04683.JPG

Last weld was to the center section. Preheated the center section with a mapp gas torch, cranked the welder to 11 and let her rip. My buddy Josh did this part as he had more experience with welding cast. He made it look easy, and with some post heating, then letting it cool slowly nothing cracked. This joint is under compression so I think it won't be an issue.

DSC04686.JPG

We then repeated the process for the short side.

DSC04687.JPG

DSC04688.JPG

Last part was to set the passenger side UCA bracket into place and install the weld in johnny joint.

DSC04690.JPG

DSC04689.JPG

The kit comes with 1 weld in joint for passenger side and a machined joint for the drivers side that you press in.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the truss kit. Installation was straight forward. I would using a 240v welder and that is mainly for welding the truss to the differential housing.

nice writeup!

I pre-ordered one of these trusses back in december and its been sitting in my garage since it shipped.

I have been running the upper JJ housing kit for some time now and have been very happy with it, I plan on modding the kit to fit the truss.

do yourself a quick favor. take a small flat blade screwdriver and a small hammer. go around the endges of the snap rings on the upper JJs and tap them all all the way into the groove. 99% of the time they are already in all the way, but every once in a while one doesnt go all the way in and it can spit the ring out.

The passenger side joint has to be assembled. I'll check the snap rings. If you have the curry kit, I'd just cut that passenger mount off and use the Artec one.

How are your front bump stops? Make sure your oil pan isn't the bump stop. Mine has a few witness marks in it. After installing prothane coil inserts with nylon rods, I'm safe now.

How are your front bump stops? Make sure your oil pan isn't the bump stop. Mine has a few witness marks in it. After installing prothane coil inserts with nylon rods, I'm safe now.

With how you drive I'm surprised there aren't witness marks from your axle on your valve cover. :)

Bump stops are the RE ones that came with the lift. You can see the drivers side one in the picture. They're a good 3-4" tall.

I didn't weigh it, but it doesn't add a lot of weight. I'd say maybe 15lbs. I'm still sporting a stock from diff cover. It's survived tons of trips to Johnson Valley. I use my tie rod to protect the diff. :)

The passenger side joint has to be assembled. I'll check the snap rings. If you have the curry kit, I'd just cut that passenger mount off and use the Artec one.

meh. I can easily put the one I have in the chop saw and make it work. saved me $$ on the truss.

iirc the shipping label on mine says 11lbs.

That looks nice. But what is with the undercut on some of the welds?!

a product of running really hot to try and get penetration into the dif housing.

that top section is 1/4" so that undercut shouldn't be much of a problem.

why? if you look at the way the truss is, that joint will be in compression, and there is plenty of weld underneath it.

Those sharp edges are considered stress risers and are otherwise asking for a crack to form. You can either fill the undercut with weld, or simply grind down the edge to remove the riser.

You could get lucky and It will never be a problem... or take the 5 minutes it would take to build it right. Choice is always up to you.

Those sharp edges are considered stress risers and are otherwise asking for a crack to form. You can either fill the undercut with weld, or simply grind down the edge to remove the riser.

You could get lucky and It will never be a problem... or take the 5 minutes it would take to build it right. Choice is always up to you.
I agree but I also agree with Rockclimber. I see no problems in this application with some slight undercut on a few inches of weld. There appears to be plenty of strength and rigidity in the design to spread the forces.
Can you burn in all the way around the housing for extra strength; why just on top of the pumpkin? Also you mentioned preheat and postheat but what was the rest of the procedure like. Did you weld an inch and peen? Weld an inch and peen again? What filler did you use to weld the truss to the cast section?

Last edited:
I just preheated the center section with a mapp gas torch. Josh did those two welds, so if it breaks I'll blame him. Yeah, it should've had more wirespeed, but we had the machine cranked up. No peening or welding an inch, etc. The joint isn't really stressed, there's like a mile of weld on the tube and the front/rear dimple die outer parts. Considering the stock passenger mount, this is overkill. If I do anything else, it will be a jump to a 9/60. I don't know if it will be ready for socalfest. I may just drive out there for the day and watch the carnage. :) I need to run down to the campground and see if I can get the RV in out there.

Mark

It's a 30 minute drive from my house to the parking lot. That's in traffic. I've got to transfer the lift over from the rolled jeep, then once that's done transfer the transmission/transfer case since the new jeep is 2wd. I'll probably just steal kevin's junk and do connector with it. :) He won't even notice the damage.

whats with all the comments on the welds? you guys act like it matters if the housing doesnt bend on a dana 30......

not like the rest of the damn thing isnt gonna fall apart if actually abused.

Back