• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 axle tube seals

XJrookie

NAXJA Forum User
I've seen these seals that go into the front axle tube that are grease filled and are meant to stop water from finding its way to the diff. Anybody seen these or used them??

I'm running these as I was too lazy to machine for new inner seals when I switched to non-disconnect axles, and figured keeping water out wasn't a bad idea either. Very simple design, easy to install. They won't work on earlier model D30's w/ the original shafts if the shafts have the welded on dust sheilds though...

Just a quick what im sure is to be a dumb question, these seals wont work with cad axles but if i do the solid axle conversion will it work or is it more of a problem with the axle tube itself and not the axle shaft?

Im assuming its because of the splined end of the cad shaft is larger and so it should work when going to the single solid axle but just wanted to see if anyone could confirm this before i blow 50 bucks on seals. Wouldn't even bother with em but here in oregon theres a ton of rain and mud.

I've never tried the outer axle tube seals, but have heard that it is still possible for water and mud to get past them and become trapped in your axle tubes.

Yep, give em about 5-10K miles and they will wallow out and then when you do go though water or mud or even sand, you will trap it in the tub up to the opening height and then that holds the water up against the True inner axle seal.

Back