• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition switch/lock problem

JeffDeWitt

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 XJ has something like 330k on it and the ignition switch and lock has never given any trouble until today.

Got in the Jeep, turned the key and it felt like something went "crunch", and when it got to the start position nothing happend.

The dash lights come on, and with a push I got it started and home (thank goodness for stick shifts!). It's now hotwired so I can get to work until it's fixed but what to fix?

I'm thinking it's the ignition switch, the key turns all the way but start never engages.

What do you experts think?

Oh and I replaced my idiot light instrment panel with one with gages, this fourm was a HUGE help getting that right, thanks!

Jeff DeWitt

if it went "crunch" and now the key turns normally, but it won't engage the starter, I'm leaning toward the linkage between the lock cyl. and the electrical start switch. It's not uncommon to have it pop out of it's cohhector and allow partial opperation of the switch.

--Shorty

Shorty said:
if it went "crunch" and now the key turns normally, but it won't engage the starter, I'm leaning toward the linkage between the lock cyl. and the electrical start switch. It's not uncommon to have it pop out of it's cohhector and allow partial opperation of the switch.

--Shorty

Isn't the electrical start switch part of the ignition switch? If not where is it?

I know the starter is OK, not only is it almost new but I ran a wire from it to up near the battery and can start the Jeep by turning the ignition on and touching the wire to the battery.

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt

Pull out the screws holding the lower part of the dash on. Remove this portion of the dash. Under the steering colom is 2 nuts holding the colom up. Drop these nuts and check the rod. IF this is still in the switch and not bent then I would guess it's the switch. Get a new one and install.. make sure to adjust it properly or you'll be bump starting it all the time.

Back