• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 5.5 Extreme Duty Kit questions??

klennop

NAXJA Forum User
So this is my first lifted vehicle and I am debating between the Rusty's 6.5 and the RE 5.5 Extreme Duty kit for a 2001 Limited.

Can you customize the kit say like swapping out the CA's for adjustable ones? Would I actually need adjustable ones or would the ones that come with the kit be fine since they are sold in a kit specifically for that lift?

Are you able to run a 33X12.5 without trimming on this kit?

Can someone tell me the difference between all the different shocks that are offered, I can't seem to find anything on them.

Thanks for any help!

I take it you are talking about the short arm with drop down brackets, right? If so, spend the extra on the adjustable uppers, to gain a little with your front pinion angle, this is specially important with your late model XJ and the low pinion Dana 30. You'll want to adjust the pinion angle just a few degrees below the front shaft. If you go for castor angle over pinion, your front shaft will vibe like crazy and wear out fast. Do a search on this kit, many of us have it, myself included and have already gone through the trials and tribulations of running this kit. The other thing you'll definately have to look at is steering, this kit will put your drag link right in the way of the Swaybar mounts on the axles. You can fit a 33x12.5 with minor trimming, depending on your backspacing you'll have to trim the front bumper caps. If you want to flex it out, you'll have to trim all the plastic.

CartsXJ said:
I take it you are talking about the short arm with drop down brackets, right? If so, spend the extra on the adjustable uppers, to gain a little with your front pinion angle, this is specially important with your late model XJ and the low pinion Dana 30. You'll want to adjust the pinion angle just a few degrees below the front shaft. If you go for castor angle over pinion, your front shaft will vibe like crazy and wear out fast. Do a search on this kit, many of us have it, myself included and have already gone through the trials and tribulations of running this kit. The other thing you'll definately have to look at is steering, this kit will put your drag link right in the way of the Swaybar mounts on the axles. You can fit a 33x12.5 with minor trimming, depending on your backspacing you'll have to trim the front bumper caps. If you want to flex it out, you'll have to trim all the plastic.

Yeah I was talking about the short arms, I was just wondering if I was able to get adjustables as an option even though it isn't listed. I don't want to buy double of the CA's.

So what do you have to do to fix the drag link swaybar issue. I really didn't want to trim to fit 33's, a little isn't bad but when you say "trim all the plastic" that concerns me. I am going with 16X8 5X4.5 for rim size with 305/10/16 BFG Mud Terrains.

Would the long arm be a better bet for me then?
Thanks again for your help.

Get the kit from PORC, the upgrade to adj is only like $40 bucks. He had the cheapest price on the kit as well. May want to look into a HP d30. Your driveshaft will thank you.

Flex? I could max out a 30 deg ramp once I set my shocks up for full travel. I have the porc shocks and I'm not real happy with them so I'm going to 5150's.

ponyracer1 said:
Get the kit from PORC, the upgrade to adj is only like $40 bucks. He had the cheapest price on the kit as well. May want to look into a HP d30. Your driveshaft will thank you.

Flex? I could max out a 30 deg ramp once I set my shocks up for full travel. I have the porc shocks and I'm not real happy with them so I'm going to 5150's.

Who or what is PORC, (sorry newbie). What kit were you running?

So as for flex, were you rinning 33's without rubbing or??? 5150's are Bilstein(sp?) right? Why didn't you go with the RE ones, so you know the difference between them?

klennop said:
Yeah I was talking about the short arms, I was just wondering if I was able to get adjustables as an option even though it isn't listed. I don't want to buy double of the CA's.

So what do you have to do to fix the drag link swaybar issue. I really didn't want to trim to fit 33's, a little isn't bad but when you say "trim all the plastic" that concerns me. I am going with 16X8 5X4.5 for rim size with 305/10/16 BFG Mud Terrains.

Would the long arm be a better bet for me then?
Thanks again for your help.

You will either have to get a completely different steering set-up, or raised swaybar mounts, which is what I did. Click on the JKS banner when it comes up and they have 1" and 2" raised weld on mounts. This is the easiest, not the simpliest if you don't weld or have a friend who can weld, cheapest option. It sounds like you'll probably end up with 4" -4.5" of backspacing, you'll probably be ok, but if you want to flex it out, you'll have to trim the inner edges of the flares and sculp them to clear. Long or short arm doesn't really matter. Either will work for you, you really have to ask yourself, what are you plans and what do you want to do with th XJ?

I doubt that PORC is the best price on that lift. I would highly recommend you contact FullsizeXJ.

klennop said:
Who or what is PORC, (sorry newbie). What kit were you running?

So as for flex, were you rinning 33's without rubbing or??? 5150's are Bilstein(sp?) right? Why didn't you go with the RE ones, so you know the difference between them?

Tell him Phill from england sent ya.

Contact Alex at:

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/

The RE 5.5 short arm kit with drop downs. Upgraded to adj lowers and PORC brand shocks. Shipped, upgraded, with shocks they were cheaper than the list price for the lift alone from RE.

I trimmed with rear TJ flares all around. Folded the pinch seam in the rear an trimmed about 2" in the front. I could have run it without trimming but you'd rub like mad. Ya 33's

I just called Alex and got a price of retail. That included there shocks and free shipping....
I'd recommend you not go with their shocks, so if they'll give you a credit take it.
Or call FullsizeXJ, like I did.

I did the RE 5.5 kit and am quite happy with it. It came out a bit over 6" total. Still haven't done the 33's, on 31x10.5 right now and at full compression they hit the fenders a little. For 33's I'm planning on moving the front flares up to the body line and tweaking the bumpstops a bit. I looked at a couple of XJ's with Rusty's and the RE stuff is way nicer. I don't plan on lifting it any higher as I'm not a hammer whore (yet). The kit was designed around 33's. You will have to trim no matter what kit you get as the wheel well isn't wide enough to stuff a 33 in there, it's a matter of tire size vs space, not lift. You'll be fine for everyday driving without trimming, but the moment you disconnect and hit the trails you will find out where it rubs. :)

You might also contact Dirk at www.DPGOffroad.com He will setup the kit anyway you like.

I went with the Extreme 5.5 with JKS adj UCA/LCA's and OME shocks. If you setup your bumpstops properly, you will have less trimming to do. Plus, if you go with 285/75/16 tires they will stuff better and you'll still have a 33.

I had minimal contact with my swaybar mount and the steering, however I have JKS disco's, but it did not require relocating the swaybar link mount.

Brad

I want to go with 305's vs the 285 because at least with the BFG M/T's there is a huge difference in the tread, the blocks are way bigger all around and there is more tread depth.

I did get some prices from fullsizeXJ and it is closer to what Rusty's charges for their 6.5, that is why I am asking more questions about the RE lift. I am not planning on going any bigger than 6 or 6.5. That is all I want.

There is no need to go over 6.5 even 6 the higher you go the hight your COG is. I have some buddies who have the RE kit they really like it. Hey just lift it, lock it and wheel it.

I have the RE kit and love it. The previous owner actually installed the kit and did a kickass job of making new sway bar brackets. He didn't wheel it so the fenders were not trimmed or anything. I eventually put a different front bumper on and cut trimmed the fenders up to the flare line. If you add a hockey puck to the bumpstop it MIGHT let you get away with no trimming of the fender. You will for sure need to trim the bumper endcaps though.

For a short arm kit I don't think you can beat the ride, flex, and durability of the RE 5.5 kit.

Back